Full time MPA and Full time employment

bioBot010010

Hello all,

My name is T, I am new here. My husband suggested I join the grad cafe as I have so many questions that my school won’t entertain. I understand why they don’t, after all I seem to be doing something that is extremely ill advised in their eyes. So here I am, hoping that I have not made a silly mistake. I will be starting my MPA program at Baruch College in the Fall of 2019. I am super pumped and also very nervous about what to expect. Additionally, some time in the summer, I will be starting a new job with the city. Also, super excited for this. I have always been a great student, graduated with a Summa Cum Laude in undergrad this year so I think I can take it. I mean I have always worked full time and went to school full time but is thinking this is possible for graduate school silly? Any advise would help a ton. 

I know plenty of people who have done full time master's programs at a CUNY and worked full time, myself included. I actually know someone who did that in your exact program. See how you handle it the 1st semester and adjust accordingly if necessary.  

I'm not in your field/school, but I completed my MA in Museum Studies, and I'm 50% done with my second MA in Classical Studies, both of which I did/am doing while employed full-time at a museum. (Additionally, I have Tuition Scholar duties through my graduate school that I complete in order to get my funding, so that's another 7+ hours a week of commitment). Since you've always worked full-time through school, that's an advantage because you already have the time management skills you'll probably need. The only thing that differs for me in my current program is that I use 3-9 days of vacation time for finals (whether they're exams or papers) just to give me time to focus on only my schooling around the time that those things are due. (It's doable without taking off as well, but I have found that this improves my work). I hope this helps!