Jobs after Ph.D.

Good Morning all, 

I am really struggling in finding a postdoc position after I got my Ph.D. in anthropology. 

Long story short. I obtained my Ph.D. in anthropology in April 2018. Afterward, my supervisor told me that I had to wait in line to get a post-doc position or an opportunity in that same department. However, I had to live. That is why I followed my husband in The Netherlands as he got a job over here. Since the Netherlands is not a cheap country I started to work as a Support over the phone for a multinational very famous company. During the past year, when I had time I participated in conferences, published my book and published some articles. If I am not mistaken two. I applied for over 10 postdoc position in the Netherlands. Sometimes I wasn't enough qualified, sometimes I was overqualified, so what the heck should I do? I am trying to stay positive, but all these rejections make me being very upset and tired. Should I work in a call center for the rest of my fucking life with a Ph.D. in anthropology? I have also tried to make connections, but nothing seems to work... I am losing hope.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Before I applied to my programs, I had the warning talks about scarcity of academic jobs from all but one of my professors. Even then, he did not talk about jobs afterwards but only that it was good to continue education. Anyways, I knowingly and willingly accept a hard life after (hopefully) getting a PhD in socio-cultural anthropology. 

I know some folks who are in a similar situation to yours, and if you to want to still be in academia you have to continue publishing, attending conferences and whatnot because that is the only way to maintain your presence in the academic battlefield. It's less a matter of qualification and more a matter of timing and luck (which go hand in hand) because certain places will hire you whether you are over or underqualified, depending on their own needs and desperation. Of course you don't have to stay at the call center, and I'm sure within the months of you posting you had been looking for another job. Since I don't really know your situation perhaps you can try picking up an internship...?

• 2 months later...