Advice for 2020 college graduate

goghwithit

Stumbled across this forum in the midst of a search for general guidance about what to do after I graduate college next May. I am currently a summer intern at MoMA, so although I am extremely blessed to have landed this opportunity, I am -- in my usual nature -- anxious about next steps. Colleagues have told me that I should reach out in January and ask for help with job opportunities, or some have told me to take the summer off after graduation and wait until August to begin the search, as less graduates will be on the job hunt at that time. I have considered many different tracks -- i.e., taking the GRE next summer so I could be prepared to apply for MA programs, or spending a year teaching in France (I am an Art History and French major). I was wondering if anyone has any advice about initiatives I can take in the coming months to help this job search or begin to narrow down the routes I could take after graduating. Thank you!!

• 3 weeks later...

following this...

I'm also going to graduate in May 2020 (art history, studio) and I am freaking out over what to do once I graduate!

A lot of people I've talked to (thesis advisor, recent grads, current masters students) really push taking time off after graduating and wait on applying to MAs or PhDs.  Part of their reasoning is to further develop my research interests/languages but also a lot seem to think the odds are really low for someone straight out of undergrad to be accepted into a top grad program.  

Do grad programs really care about work experience/age though? ...isn't it more about the research you've done and what you plan on researching? I hear so many stories about people graduating w a BA in art history, taking time off then not being able to find anything but unpaid internships bc they don't have a grad degree -- that seems like a pretty shitty situation. I personally think if I have the energy, interest and time now -- why not go straight to a masters or PhD?

I also have a decent amount of experience in museums -- I've worked in three different institutions and I am working at the museum on my campus this year while writing a senior honors thesis. So maybe I can get an entry level job?

I am trying to do everything but getting to the next step seems like such an elusive process which is really frustrating for someone on this side of graduation.

I second taking some time off between your BA and your MA/PhD. To be candid: I am currently in a PhD program and there is a stark contrast between those who worked between degrees and those who went straight through to graduate school. The latter are intense and driven students, but TBH I have noticed that many (but not all) have trouble connecting with their peers or discussing anything outside of academia. My time spent working as a freelance art critic, in restaurants, and as a curatorial assistant really gave me the time/space to think deeply about why I wanted to pursue graduate school and to develop some much needed social skills. If you're aiming to be a curator, the art of conversation is a really important asset to have under your belt. Working in between programs also completely changed the focus of my research, which led to a strong statement of purpose. If you're wondering what to do in between now and applying, try pitching a few reviews to Hyperallergic or a local/regional arts magazine that you follow. You can strengthen your writing skills, but also remain informed of the exhibitions/artists in your field. If you're writing a senior thesis, you could also rework part/parts of it to submit to a local or regional conference (sometimes they have a "student spotlight" if you don't feel like your research is up-to-par, but you still want feedback and the CV line). You would be surprised how many curators and academics worked as social media managers/library aids/front desk associates/etc. before starting grad school. That was my favorite part about entering my current program: realizing that all of these insanely smart and talented people had worked odd jobs while writing for Art in America and Artforum (in anticipation of applying to a PhD program). But, if you have the momentum, and you feel ready, don't talk yourself out of applying. It's an expensive process though, so make sure you weigh the pros and cons of doing it now versus later when you have more experience and a solid statement of purpose. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much for your reply -- that's very helpful. After recent meetings with one of my advisors, I've decided I'm going to take time off after graduation, maybe work at an entry level job or in restaurants, and then apply to PhD programs next fall. I received candid advice to forgo a Masters program and apply directly to PhD programs, as I am writing a thesis that can be used in lieu of a Masters thesis. I also want to try to avoid acquiring debt, so a funded program is my preferred option. If you don't mind my asking, what PhD program are you in and how are you liking it so far?