PhD straight from undergrad?

weakbutscrappy

Hi all—here because I'm currently working on SoPs/editing writing samples/CV for PhD programs and am feeling pretty unqualified as I'm applying straight from undergrad. I'm a senior RS major at Kenyon College with a 3.89/4.0 GPA, completing an honors thesis (60-100 page independent research), and have 2 years of French lang study (no other languages). I've also presented at regional AAR with original, independent research through a fellowship. Haven't taken the GRE yet, but will in September. I'm applying for PhD programs in American Religions at Penn, Northwestern, Indiana University, Yale, and Brown as of now, though the list may change a little. Many of their sites say students applying straight from undergrad have to be particularly promising, and I'm not sure if I would fit the bill or not. Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

It's not impossible but it's damn near impossible. Very few RS-PhD programs take anyone straight from UG and when they do, they have exceptional backgrounds. By exceptional I mean they often went to HS at an elite private school, parents had significant money/resources/culture/etc, they went to a Top 5 UG, and spent their summers and UG schedule tailored to PhD programs from fall semester of their freshman year.

I mean go for it! Often if you're a strong candidate but just a little short, they'll kick you down to the MA level and throw really nice financial aid your way.

It's possible, though as pathos said, not likely. That said, if anyone has a chance at doing so, it's applicants working in "modern" subfields, i.e. you. The reason it is rare for many of us, is because we have the problem of studying enough languages, which is not much of a problem, in comparison, for those doing research in modern, esp. American (i.e. English-language) history/religion. For better or worse, many applicants for doctoral work in religion have a divinity M* degree, because honestly most of them have 'faith' commitments. For worse, this has resulted in the expectation that all applicants should also have at least one M* degree, divinity or otherwise, because so many applicants have them (even if one wants to pursue a doctoral degree not requiring specialized, language training). This is unfortunate, since I think most divinity degrees, even at the 'top' schools, are essentially post-baccs. My rant aside, I suggest looking into, beyond religion PhDs, history departments et sim. Spend a lot of time looking at the backgrounds of current doctoral students at the schools of interest. What kind of degrees do most of them have? That will be a far better measure than the anecdotes given here.

While institutions may claim it to be possible, I would do an in depth search of current and recently graduated students from the institution to see if they have actually accepted any students with an M* degree (as @sacklunch also suggested). The language may simply be a carryover from times gone by when this was more the norm. 

That being said, you will also want to figure out the process, if there is one, of being able to be accepted into an M* program at the institution if your application does not acquire you a PhD spot and the level of funding available for said M* program. 

Of the programs you listed, Northwestern and (I think) Indiana regularly admit people straight from undergrad. I just graduated from Northwestern's program, and there were two people in my cohort who came in straight from undergrad. I've known plenty of others as well.

That said, if you're really serious about American Religions, I would absolutely consider taking an MA first at FSU or Miami (OH) or another program with an extremely strong track record in that subfield. You'll have a much, much better shot at top AmRel Ph.D. programs with an MA. And, to clarify xypathos' point about being put in an MA program--not a lot of elite Ph.D. programs have a terminal MA to put you in. Northwestern definitely doesn't. Neither do the Ivies you listed. And schools that do, like Columbia or UChicago, will make you pay a ton of money for theirs with no promise of Ph.D. admission when you're done. I would highly recommend seeking out funded MA programs like FSU and Miami where you'll get some teaching experience and you'll work with really well-respected scholars in the field.