Is there a big difference between undergraduate and graduate-level language courses?

PBenjy

Hello! I am just now finishing up a graduate certificate in Koine Greek, but I am trying to plan if I want to also do graduate-level Biblical Hebrew. I start my MTS at Duke this Fall.

I took Biblical Hebrew I & II as an undergraduate student, so I am familiar enough with the language. However, when I go to apply for a PhD, I am afraid that undergraduate-level Hebrew won't be looked at as favorably as graduate-level. Is that true?

I am hoping to focus on the New Testament in my PhD program, but I want to be well-rounded with having Hebrew as well. I thought about possibly finding a graduate-level Hebrew Grammar class to enroll in eventually. Thoughts? 

It really depends on what level Hebrew class you get into. The most common graduate language courses are the introductory courses, which in your case may be redundant. However, an intermediate or advanced Hebrew course that works closely with a full grammar (Jouon, Waltke/O'Connor) would definitely be of service to you. Even if you hope to focus on NT in your PhD it is likely you will need to pass a Hebrew competency exam. And many departments are looking for Advanced competency in Greek and intermediate in Hebrew even from an applicant. Moreover, deeper knowledge of Hebrew through your MTS may help facilitate an easier transition to Aramaic or Syriac as research needs arise. 

I don't think Duke requires a Hebrew exam for NT track; check the GPR handbook or ask someone in your subfield/adviser. You might check the course list or check with Melvin Peters to see if the class 'rapid reading in Biblical Hebrew' is offered sometime in the next year or two. I'm at Duke (GPR PhD), so feel free to PM me, though I'm not in the NT track.

16 minutes ago, sacklunch said:

I don't think Duke requires a Hebrew exam for NT track; check the GPR handbook or ask someone in your subfield/adviser. You might check the course list or check with Melvin Peters to see if the class 'rapid reading in Biblical Hebrew' is offered sometime in the next year or two. I'm at Duke (GPR PhD), so feel free to PM me, though I'm not in the NT track.

I'm in the NT track. Melvin Peters doesn't really teach anymore and the NT track does require a Hebrew exam. I think it would be a good idea to take a Hebrew grammar and/or exegesis course. Definitely don't retake the intro sequence.

• 3 weeks later...

The Hebrew you took in undergrad will probably be sufficient for the purpose of doctoral applications, but just be sure you keep using it so you retain your ability to use it. See if you can take a Hebrew readings class at some point during your MTS or at least join an informal group to keep practicing reading and translation. I took Hebrew in undergrad but then barely used it during my master's because I focused on NT classes. Now I'm in an NT PhD program but taking an OT seminar this semester, and it's scary how much Hebrew I'm having to relearn!