Columbia accepted but unfunded

Slide568

For all those who made it through the long, long, at most times unprofessional application process and got accepted into the unfunded MA programs or got bumped into the MA program after applying for phd, are you still going? Will you be accepting the unfunded offer or going elsewhere? If you are accepting, how are you paying for it...if you dont mind sharing.

I've been slightly surprised by Columbia's lack of funding and underfunding. In a field like mine, going into major debt for a degree is kind of ridiculous. :(

I'm torn on what to do... told myself I wouldn't go anywhere without funding, and now it looks like funding may not happen. I don't want to wait another year, but also don't want tons of debt. Still hoping something comes through.

I got accepted to all 3 PhD programs I applied to last season (I'm at the end of my first year). None of them were able to guarantee me funding. Times are tough and this year seems to be worse than last.

I can't advise you what to do, but I can tell you what I did. I moved 900 miles and prepared to start the fall without funding. My goal, of course, was to seek it out when I got here. I spent the weeks before my move cold-contacting potential groups on campus and was very disappointed when those leads got me nowhere. About a week before classes started I got lucky and was offered to interview for an assistantsip with the Graduate School. About two weeks into the semester, I started work and my waiver and stipend all kicked in. Provided I keep my grades up (no problem), work hard (no problem), and the funding is still available (iffy with the state budget, but as of right now it's still there), I will be renewed for next year. That should buy me a little time to cast a net for grants and see if I can't fund myself for my last year and a half of research.

I was accepted to my first choice masters program unfunded. I've decided not to go. I have some debt from undergrad, and funding the 40K plus for each year of that degree just seems ridiculous to me - especially because of the type of degree I'm pursuing and the fact that I likely won't make enough money for some time in my career to pay that off quickly (although the new 10% laws going into effect will help that but I don't want to be in debt forever either). I think this has to be one of the biggest factors in the decision. It's also hard though, to know exactly what you'll make when you get out with the economy being so unstable right now.

I got a funded offer from my second choice masters program, and while its not ideal in terms of location/school... I'm happy with the program and the advisor and that's good enough for me.

I was accepted to my first choice masters program unfunded. I've decided not to go. I have some debt from undergrad, and funding the 40K plus for each year of that degree just seems ridiculous to me - especially because of the type of degree I'm pursuing and the fact that I likely won't make enough money for some time in my career to pay that off quickly (although the new 10% laws going into effect will help that but I don't want to be in debt forever either). I think this has to be one of the biggest factors in the decision. It's also hard though, to know exactly what you'll make when you get out with the economy being so unstable right now.

I got a funded offer from my second choice masters program, and while its not ideal in terms of location/school... I'm happy with the program and the advisor and that's good enough for me.

Kudos on your wise decision! That's the kind of thinking I need to chill with, instead of second guessing myself when people say, "Oh, but it's an IVY...."

I suppose getting in is validation enough and can be used later as leverage when applying to other places and negotiating funding. They chose you. Frame the acceptance letter and move into reality. People wont think your any smarter because you struggled to keep up with the big boys at an ivy while deluding yourself into thinking your not overcompensating for some sort of daddy issues. Your degree is what you make of it no matter where its from....not that i will actually make it into my ivy, im just saying. it helps me sleep at night.

I got accepted for a PhD at UIUC, unfunded. Due to the overwhelming budget crisis, I kind of expected that but I guess I had a glimmer of hope. I only applied there as well. I live overseas, I can't take the risk of moving back to the states without any type of funding. I moved away from America to get out of debt/save cash, not to return to school and dig a hole. So, I am not going this year but I plan to apply to more schools next year, it may not be my ideal program or location but hey, times are tough and I need to go where the money will be. I am just glad I found all of this out before I moved 9000 miles to be stuck in the cornfields with no money. School will always be there. I can wait until someone funds me.