LOR from professor who left academia?

eliaa

Hi everyone! I originally posted this in a different section of the site and @Sigaba recommend I post here - I'm new, so hopefully this double post is ok/formatted correctly!

I am currently working on my applications for history phd programs for Fall 2020. I completed my undergrad in history in 2016, and have worked at a nonprofit since which provides services directly tied to my research interests. One of my coworkers at my nonprofit is actually my former professor - she taught an intro to women's studies class that deeply influenced my work and research. Since it was only an intro class, not in my direct field, & she left academia, would this be a weak LOR? I'm conflicted, because I do think she can uniquely speak to how my research interests and work experience are connected, and she knows me and my work super super well. For the record, my other 2 LOR writers are a current professor and a very recently retired professor (both in history) so would that even it out? Thanks so much for all your help!!

14 hours ago, eliaa said:

Hi everyone! I originally posted this in a different section of the site and @Sigaba recommend I post here - I'm new, so hopefully this double post is ok/formatted correctly!

I am currently working on my applications for history phd programs for Fall 2020. I completed my undergrad in history in 2016, and have worked at a nonprofit since which provides services directly tied to my research interests. One of my coworkers at my nonprofit is actually my former professor - she taught an intro to women's studies class that deeply influenced my work and research. Since it was only an intro class, not in my direct field, & she left academia, would this be a weak LOR? I'm conflicted, because I do think she can uniquely speak to how my research interests and work experience are connected, and she knows me and my work super super well. For the record, my other 2 LOR writers are a current professor and a very recently retired professor (both in history) so would that even it out? Thanks so much for all your help!!

The challenge of using the former professor's letter center around the kinds of questions a reader might reasonably ask .

• What are the circumstances of her leaving the Ivory Tower? Did she move on after not getting tenure? Was she "too political" (note the quotes, please) for the academic sector?
  • What is the nature of your relationship with her presently relative to an org chart and socially?
    • Who works for whom?
    • Does the social component of the relationship allow for a "disinterested" assessment?
  • How relevant are her experiences to the assessment of your potential to thrive at the graduate level?
    • How rigorous was this introductory course?
      • Such courses can be incredibly intense or rather...introductory.
    • Does she adequately understand the rigors of a graduate history program to offer a fair assessment of your potential in one?
  • Does your relationship with her, coupled with your work at a non profit indicate that you'll be more invested in your cause than your classes?

Ideally, she'll be well aware of these kinds of questions and will be able to address them succinctly in the letter. 

In regards to "balancing out" this LOR with your other two, it's hard to make an assessment without knowing more about your relationship with the two professors. A more sustainable path towards balance may center around the portions of your application you can control--your statement of purpose and your writing sample. Does the former compellingly and convincingly tell the story of your intellectual and personal journey? How might your experiences at a not for profit benefit not only you but also the department you hope to join and the profession generally?

Does the latter show the extent to which you, as an academic, have been influenced by women's studies and that you also remain a historian?

Edited by Sigaba
Strike through text issue.