committee on social thought, u. chicago

thomasf

Anybody else applied here? Anybody even heard of this program?

I emailed the dept. and they said they were sending out mail this week but didn't tell me what my status was...any chance anyone out there has already heard via email/phone? I'm wondering whether these will only be rejection notices and thus uneccessary torture to anticipate...

I've heard of it. I almost applied to that program my first time around two years ago because I was looking for something with a bit of a broader interdisciplinary focus (as an undergrad i had an english and art double major and a philosophy minor and I wasn't wanting to "give any of them up" to go into a straight English or philosophy program). However, I missed the deadline (it was pretty early like Dec 1 or something). My philosophy prof told me it was the next up and coming thing, so to speak, and that it was intensely competitive to get into and a highly-coveted degree to have. I really like the program from what I've heard about it.

No info for you about applying this year... but best of luck, if you get in I'm sure you'll love it like crazy. I'll have my fingers crossed for ya.

that's very interesting...while my profs were very enthusiastic about this program they didn't mention anything about it being competitive and I've heard from other sources that they're ambivalent about it mostly because it's an interdisciplinary degree. But I know I would be very happy there indeed, and in fact I may have formulated my interests as too interdisciplinary for other programs so here's hoping.

Guest fifty07

I've heard of it. I applied to the MAPSS program and have not heard anything yet. I just want to know already!

Guest magicjohnson

are you people fucking kidding me? uchicago's committee on social thought is old, (in)famous, ridiculously difficult to get into and just as hard to finish. jeez.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Committee_ ... al_Thought

"My philosophy prof told me it was the next up and coming thing, so to speak." Next time you see your prof, tell him/her that he/she is a complete moron.

Guest Cheryl B

Wow, thanks for contributing to the good vibes of this site, magic. Your input, while technically valid and to the point, might have been a little more welcome had it not been so, ummmm, obnoxiously expressed. No need to put down others because they're not as in-the-know as you.

I don't think it's even valid. I can't speak for infamy, but 60 years does not qualify as old in the university system, even in the states. And while I'm sure it's competetive, it can't be as difficult to get into as the phil department with its 3% acceptance rate. Their web site indicates they admit 6-7%, And as recently as a few years ago that was more like 10-11%.

Why should it be any more difficult to finish than any other ph.d. program, aside from the fact that students with interdisciplinary interests are naturally going to have a harder time settling on a manageable thesis topic?

I can't speak for infamy, but 60 years does not qualify as old in the university system, even in the states. And while I'm sure it's competetive, it can't be as difficult to get into as the phil department with its 3% acceptance rate. Their web site indicates they admit 6-7%, And as recently as a few years ago that was more like 10-11%.

60 years is still older than "the next big thing" as some clueless professor put it, and the committee has an illustrious history, with names like Allan Bloom and Hannah Arendt connected to it, a history that one would have thought an applicant would be aware of. It is undoubtedly a very difficult program to get into. I wasn't comparing it with philosophy at UofC, but now that you mention it, I don't think that there's much difference in competitiveness (3% vs. 6%? At that level it's splitting hairs).

Why should it be any more difficult to finish than any other ph.d. program, aside from the fact that students with interdisciplinary interests are naturally going to have a harder time settling on a manageable thesis topic?

It is not uncommon for students on that committee to take 8 years+ to finish their dissertations. This is the reputation the program has in academic circles.

That's certainly a fairer analysis, but I still disagree. I am in fact aware of the prestigious faculty that have been a part of the Committee--I first heard about it while researching Arendt's career 3 years ago--but I don't think that contributes to a program's current status. Consider philosophy at penn state. And while 6% is still competitive compared to lower tier schools, among the many top schools to which people on this board are applying it is hardly unusual.

This is all mitigated by the fact that I do consider the program to be exclusive and also somewhat eccentric, and I'm not surprised to hear that more students get stuck there. Since you seem to be familiar with it, perhaps you could helpfully shed some light on whatever you know and how you know it...I'm sure I won't get in, but if I do I don't want to get myself into anything "infamous." A large part of the reason I chose it was the opportunity to get a joint degree.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Orhan and the Red

Anybody heard anything on this. For all that Magic says -let's leave our man to his basketball for the time being (just joking, man)-this is really the place I want to go to. imagine reading things like 'freud and the mind', 'Tolstoy's oeuvre', 'Russian language and Poetry'. ..aah, I love it. I think it should make an ideal jumping pad into theoretical and literary writing. Well, and if it hasn't become the "next big thing", I wouldn't balme the program... . But it's got some good names with it -TS eliot, Hannah Arendt. Was Eliot really there. Well, if it was good enough for Eliot, Its good enough for me.

Anyway, let's keep this dicussion going. And next year or so, we can all be there discussing the Mind and Lacan, Freud and Laing.

best

• 11 years later...
15 hours ago, LORDBACON said:

where did y'all go?  I applied this year and am waiting for a response.  MA philosophy.  Sorry to wake the dead and I hope I'm not right in a literals sense about that.

Word. I’m still waiting to hear from them as well. They’re not typically this late in announcing admissions, so I’m not exceptionally optimistic, but then again they often notify admits and non-admits at the same time and the results board has been totally quiet for them thus far (o hi trolls reading this who will now post admission stats...) ;) 

Guess we’ll see relatively soon, eh? Best of luck to both of us. Congratulations on putting yourself out there. 

• 4 months later...

Am I a masochist for tantalizing my day dreams with this academic pursuit, or is it an act of courage? I wish to apply, I wish to molded into something truly creative, I wish to go to war, for better or for worse, with the worldviews that make up the motor of life as we know it. I recognize some bravery, but its hard to appreciate when bravery is so obviously embraced by so many- with rigor and talent and grace- that I am doubtful of the process and the fate. As the second leg of my academic history is catching up to its end, will my lucky accolades take me further than the frontier where these day dreams lie? It seems unlikely, but only time will tell. 

?   ?   ?

Admissions 2021

• 10 months later...

Anyone here back from UC social thought program? I'm currently an undergrad and am looking for places to apply, but it's been super difficult to find programs like the committee. Any suggestions? It looks like Penn State has a fairly reputable social thought program, was also considering Princeton's Political Philosophy degree.