Putting Master's GPA on Resume??

futurepmfellow

When I was job hunting at the end of my Master's studies nearly a decade ago, I did not.

Having since taught a Business Comm class that included a chapter over resume writing, I taught my students not to include GPA for Bachelor's or Master's. The large majority of jobs that require a degree will also require a copy of your transcript (in some cases at the time of application). If you really want to boast about that 4.0, do it in your cover letter, but I'd hesitate to even mention it there.

Huh. My university coaches everyone to put GPAs on their resumes. For i-banking, executive positions out of the b-school, for English majors going into Americorps, for fellowship applications, for EVERYTHING. Career coaches and professors here say that if you don't have your GPA, employers will think there's something wrong with it by default.

Maybe this is different for academic positions. But this thread doesn't jive at ALL with what I've heard from where I did undergrad/will soon be going to grad school.

Edit: Of course, they also say to include GPA if it's more than 3.3 or 3.5. If you're below that, they say not to include it, and basically imply/believe you're screwed for life. Because this place is so warm and friendly... blink.gif

Edited by red_crayons

I don't, although it will be on a case-by-case basis. If they really want to know, they'll ask.

Most interviewers and HR departments are interested in your job experience and if it fits what they are looking for, anyway. Perhaps it is more of an issue if you are applying to an entry-level gig and you have less direct experience to show off.

Honestly, the argument about putting GPAs on resumes is an old one. I remember it being a hot topic when I was an undergrad in the mid to late 90s. I find it interesting that many university/college career centers are still telling students to do it (if it's a "good" GPA). Having worked in industry for 10 years and having colleagues in a variety of industries, some of which are in Human Resources/hiring for major corporations, I can say that we don't usually care. When I hired my last few employees before leaving my agency, GPA wasn't a question I asked. Even if you're fresh out of school, I expect to see and hear about relevant work experience, be they paid/unpaid internships or part time and hobby work. I don't want to see or hear about grades.

• 1 month later...

Honestly, the argument about putting GPAs on resumes is an old one. I remember it being a hot topic when I was an undergrad in the mid to late 90s. I find it interesting that many university/college career centers are still telling students to do it (if it's a "good" GPA). Having worked in industry for 10 years and having colleagues in a variety of industries, some of which are in Human Resources/hiring for major corporations, I can say that we don't usually care. When I hired my last few employees before leaving my agency, GPA wasn't a question I asked. Even if you're fresh out of school, I expect to see and hear about relevant work experience, be they paid/unpaid internships or part time and hobby work. I don't want to see or hear about grades.

I've interviewed thousands of people...maybe next time I'll ask just to freak them out. No, but at least someone could say, "No, I've been asked about my GPA before." As a hiring manger in a university setting, I actually do care about GPA sometimes (it's usually listed on resume) depending on the job I'm hiring. Basically I don't want someone with a 2.0 teaching. I need to know they understood the material and that's just one indicator.

On a weird side note, a collegue of mine has an M.Ed., but still lists her high school diploma with GPA, rank, and some elected office on her resume (even after I kind of nicely pointed out it wasn't necessary). Always strikes me as odd.

Huh. My university coaches everyone to put GPAs on their resumes. For i-banking, executive positions out of the b-school, for English majors going into Americorps, for fellowship applications, for EVERYTHING. Career coaches and professors here say that if you don't have your GPA, employers will think there's something wrong with it by default.

Maybe this is different for academic positions. But this thread doesn't jive at ALL with what I've heard from where I did undergrad/will soon be going to grad school.

Edit: Of course, they also say to include GPA if it's more than 3.3 or 3.5. If you're below that, they say not to include it, and basically imply/believe you're screwed for life. Because this place is so warm and friendly... blink.gif

Quite the contrary. A GPA on a resume communicates lack of experience, that you have nothing else of which to be proud. One's ability to achieve high grades in this environment of grade inflation doesn't resonate for employers.

I concur.

• 2 weeks later...