Tips on how to read strategically

Adelaide9216

Pace yourself, and don't try to read too much at once. Start with 10 pages a day, and work up to twenty. Keep an eye out for the main claim, and make a note of it once you find it (highlight it too!). Highlight the reasons offered in support of the claim, and make a note of those, too. But don't highlight too much! 

As you're reading, write down the questions that occur to you. Also make a note of any thoughts or observations you have. When you're done, go back over your notes and see how it all fits together. Try to answer your questions.

And then, when you're done, write a brief summary of the chapter/article. Explain the main claim and its supporting premises, so that you can just read the quick summary later.

For books, reading book reviews can be helpful, since they're usually good at condensing the point and identifying flaws. But I suggest reading those only after you've read it, too, or once you're pretty far along. Best not to colour your views with someone else's!

Edited by maxhgns

I agree with @maxhgns, especially about that 10 pages a day thing. A lot of other humanities fields privilege reading widely and quickly--but philosophy for me slow and steady.

For class readings, I always prioritize reading at my own pace and getting as far as I can at that pace (instead of flying through a book without knowing what's happening just for the sake of it). In the long run, this has ended up helping me, even if there are class periods when I obviously haven't done all the reading.

Also, in philosophy (any text really), there's a million and one directions you can follow while reading--just follow what genuinely interests or puzzles you, and don't worry too much about some mythical single meaning that you're supposed to be able to distill from all the noise.

Advice for Foucault: in HoS vol. 1 (if that's what you're reading), he's too good at mimicking other people's positions, good enough to trick you into thinking that they are his positions. Sometimes he doesn't let you know until after the fact he articulates the position so that he can critique it later.