Both professors aren't answering my recommendation letter requests!!! What should I do?

meghanx0919

I have graduated last year with a B.S. in biology and since then I have working in industry as a microbiology. I am applying to various PhD programs in microbiology for next fall. I have already asked my boss (who is the director of the lab) for a letter of recommendation and she said yes, I am very confident she will write me a strong letter. I was a lab tech originally and she promoted me to be a microbiologist in the company when only working there for 3 months and would be a great advocate for me. I still need two more letters of recommendation.

The second letter I emailed a professor I did a directed study with my senior year of undergrad and she helped me a lot to prepare me for applying to graduate school and general advice. I emailed her in the middle of august (a very formal email updating her with what I have been doing since graduating and if she can write me a letter) and she hasn't replied. I sent her a follow up email a week later and STILL NO REPLY!!. I am stressed she will never answer me and it is crucial she writes me a letter since on my resume and my application I will talk about working with her. I am also surprised she hasn't answered. I don't know if I should send her another follow up email and if she doesn't answer to call her office?? Would it even be appropriate to call a professors office? 

The third letter, I am asking a professor who I know closely and consider a mentor. I recently talked to her over the phone in July about general career advice and applying to schools advice. She also was my microbiology (and genetics) professor who made me inspired to even pursue research in microbiology. Typically she replies the day after with emails and I sent her an email two days ago (I know this is early to be worried) and she has not replied. I am worrying because this is typically not like her. I am planning on sending her a follow up next week and then if she doesn't answer would it be appropriate considering I have her personal number to text or call her to remind her of my email?? 

I don't know who else I could ask, professor wise, that would give me a strong recommendation letter. I have one professor that I studied abroad with (but it was humanities not a science class) that might write me one - but I have not talked to that professor in a year. Also, I don't know how this professor could advocate for my research abilities . I also have another professor I took 4 classes with that might write me one. I do not think letters will be as strong for my application compared to these two professor I am asking. ??

Also my executive director of my lab will be willing to write me a letter but she has only been our executive director for about 3 months before going out on maternity leave. During those three months I have worked with her closely (having weekly meetings) and I do feel like she knows me enough to provide a letter. A lot of my applications prefer letters from professors and considering I have only graduated a year ago and worked in industry for only a year, it is probably more appropriate to have two letters from professors and the other from my boss. 

I do think it is weird that both of them haven't replied to any emails. I am very worried and I don't know if I should even apply if I do not have strong LOR. Also, both of these professors I have been using as references for job applications -which they agreed to be my references. 

Thank you for your responses !!!!

Take a couple of deep breaths and relax! When are applications due? How long do you have until these letters are due? If it were me I would call their office and chat.People get a lot of emails and it is quite possible that yours wasn't seen. They may be travelling, on sabbatical, or who knows what else.

Okay thank you! They aren’t due until December but I want to make sure I know who is willing to write me a letter in advance so I’m not scrambling before the deadline. Do you think it’s professional if I text my professor who I have her personal number to see if she got my email if she doesn’t reply to my follow up. 

8 hours ago, meghanx0919 said:

I do think it is weird that both of them haven't replied to any emails. I am very worried and I don't know if I should even apply if I do not have strong LOR. Also, both of these professors I have been using as references for job applications -which they agreed to be my references. 

Thank you for your responses !!!!

For better and for worse, your experience is similar to many posters here. @Quickmick offers fantastic guidance on how you might conceptualize the broader context.

You may find solace and more useful guidance by taking a very deep dive into the biology forum https://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/29-biology/

What ever you do, do your best not to freak out. Part of the waiting game in Ivory Tower is messed up -- many professors suffered when they were graduate students and some find dishing out pain cathartic. Or something.