Counselling Psychology Grad Application Advice?

DHerd

Hello!

I just wanted to ask for opinions on my graduate application.  I will be applying this fall, and this will be my first round of graduate applications!

Here is my app. info:

- Honours Bachelor of Science in Psychology (University of Ottawa)

- GPA: 3.2/4.0 (last two years) (I am currently finishing up three online courses which I am maintaining a 90+ in, which will be added to my previous courses)

- Two strong research letters of reference from the University of Ottawa

- Honours thesis was on post-concussion syndrome, with regards to working memory dysfunction (Got an A-)

- 4 work verification letters:

1. Walk home service provided by the University of Ottawa 

2. l'Arche Ottawa (Support given to an individual with cognitive and physical disabilities)

3. Volunteer crisis responder position

4. Vision therapist experience (Written from supervising Optometrist)

Please let me know if there is anything that I can do to improve my application if I do not get in this year!

Thanks

I meant to add this before...

I will be applying to research oriented masters programs at the University of Ottawa and the University of Western Ontario, as well as the MEd program in counselling and psychotherapy at the University of Toronto.

@haileyrutherford

Well, for UWO work verification letters are a required part of the application.  For uOttawa, a resume is required, so having these would not be a bad thing.  They also want to hear about your experience in the LOI.  UofT is a non-research program, so they would be looking at marks and experience, so again having these letters wouldn't hurt.

I am from the Caribbean twin island federation of St. Kitts and Nevis and I am thinking about applying to 4 PhD Counselling programs in Canada. However, I am reluctant to do so because I feel as though the odds are stacked against me. 

I have a BA in psychology from the University of the Virgin Islands which is a regionally accredited US school. During my tenure there I had to complete a research project which I did very well on and my cumulative GPA is 3.67. Additionally, I have a MSc in psychology (Foundations in Clinical & Health Psychology) from Newcastle University in the UK. I did a dissertation for this course and also did very well and my final overall grade for the program is a merit which translates to a GPA of 3.53. 

Since completing my BA in 2011, I have been employed in a number of roles in my home country, with the exception of 2013-14 when I was granted study leave to complete my masters in the UK. These roles include child protection officer, Case Manager and my current role as a Counsellor since 2016. 

I am eager to do a doctoral degree in counselling psychology because in my country the field of psychology and mental health is very primitive and I am eager to do what I can to help the field grow here and champion the cause of changing mental health attitudes. I think the only way to do this is by completing a degree that employs international best practices. I am of the opinion that this will assist me in shaping the policies here. 

I however feel as though the odds are stacked against me as an international applicant. I also wonder if my two research projects would be enough when it comes to research experiences considering that there is no ground for research here or any regional conferences for presentation. 

My wife is a very spiritual person who prays a lot and believes I should take a leap of faith and apply but I also believe in being practical and realistic. 

Enough rambling for now. Are the odds stacked against me? Is there any advice on how to pursue my goal? Thanks in advance for whatever response I can get.