Programs strong in film and/or portrayals of religious suffering/trauma/despair?

I am having trouble narrowing down programs where I'll be a good fit (thus, strong applicant). I am interested in portrayals of religious suffering, guilt, trauma, despair, etc. in both literature and film, and my literary interests are primarily 20-21st century. 

I hope to apply to programs ranked as highly as possible, generally, but understand how critically fit will play into my application success.

Suggestions on programs (and professors) I should be looking into?

Thanks again. I've been dropping a lot of questions here, and folks have been so kind and helpful.

Edit: Looks like Pitt and Oregon may be options . . .

Edited by blackstrap

• 2 weeks later...

You should look at Brandeis University. One professor you may be interested in working with is Emilie Diouf, who studies trauma and film. She is in the English department doing research on women, trauma, Anglophone/Francophone African film, critical theory, etc. The graduate student whom she currently advises studies trauma from a different cultural context. Caren Irr is also great for contemporary film here. David Sherman studies mourning and elegy. And Jerome Tharaud studies American religion and literature. 

22 hours ago, mobydickpic said:

You should look at Brandeis University. One professor you may be interested in working with is Emilie Diouf, who studies trauma and film. She is in the English department doing research on women, trauma, Anglophone/Francophone African film, critical theory, etc. The graduate student whom she currently advises studies trauma from a different cultural context. Caren Irr is also great for contemporary film here. David Sherman studies mourning and elegy. And Jerome Tharaud studies American religion and literature. 

Thanks so much! After perusing the Brandeis English pages, it does indeed look like a potential fit. I'll definitely be reaching out to them for more info. Very cool of you to respond in such detail!