Affordable path to becoming a therapist?

junger

Hi all, I am looking for an affordable and quality masters program that will eventually allow me to become a practicing licensed clinician upon graduation. This could either be an MSW (accredited by CSWE), an MFT/CFT program (accredited by COAMFTE), or a Clinical Mental Health Counseling program (accredited by CACREP). While money is a primary concern when it comes to making my decision about a program, I will also not sacrifice the quality of my education just because of the price. I am hoping to hear others' ideas about great programs that are not overwhelmingly expensive. Thanks! 

I'd second the suggestion of state schools, adding that often they're designed for working students so classes would be evenings or weekends.  Also, just as an fyi, you don't become licensed immediately after graduation typically.  There are a number of hours that need to be acquired from field placements and each state has its own expectation of how many hours are required to get a license.  So yes you start getting these hours in your program (these may or may not be paid depending on your program and state), but it is likely you'll need to accrue more once you've finished your degree.  Once you've finished your program, I'd prioritize finding a paid option to finish up accruing hours as students I've seen that have gone the unpaid route face financial challenges that delay obtaining a license.