How to choose recommenders?

FlakyJeweler

Hey all, 

I'm trying to nail down who my recommenders should be, and am stuck on the third recommender. My first two seem fairly obvious choices – a mentor with whom I've taken three separate classes, and my undergraduate thesis advisor. What's getting me is my third recommender. Should I ask 

1)  A professor that I took a class with and TA-ed for, whose work is outside of sociology but who knows me extremely well, or 

2) A big-name scholar with whom I'm currently doing research, but who has only known me for about a month. 

My impulse is to ask scholar #1, since scholar  #2 doesn't quite know me well enough to write a detailed letter and could perhaps be more helpful later in my career, but I've heard that some schools are concerned with the recommenders' names and I want to cover my bases. Thoughts?

I would probably go with the one who knows you well, unless the other is truly a superstar. Maybe ask one of your current recommenders what they think? I asked one of my recommenders who else I should ask and got good advice about it. 

I'd personally ask #1 for a few reasons:

1) They know you better and can speak to both your academic skill and your work ethic (in other words, they know you in two different roles). 

2) Taking a current class with someone who's writing you a letter seems tricky to me-- I would add  unnecessary pressure on myself trying to  make sure I impress them, or I would think they are critiquing me at all times.

3) It's better to have a great letter than a big name. If you are pretty sure #1 will write you an amazing letter, then that is worth so much more than an average, generic letter from a big name. 

Edited by Cryss