Online students and LORs/Follow up emails

KEIM

Did anyone have trouble getting LORs as a distance student? So far, only 1 professor has accepted my request for an LOR. One professor, I sent an email a little over a week ago... the other 5 days ago. How long should I wait before typing up a follow email? I don't want to come off pushy or annoying.

I did not spend a lot of time cultivating close relationships with these professors. I'm afraid they won't feel comfortable writing me one because I've never interacted with them in person.

Edited by KEIM

I’d keep in mind that professors receive a lot of emails, so two weeks might be reasonable! If you didn’t already in the first email, make it clear that you’ll be able to provide copies of your sops, your transcripts, a resume, a list of schools you’re applying to, and any other pertinent information to help them write you a lor. I’d imagine that at least some professors will be understanding that you haven’t cultivated as close relationships as a distance student.

4 hours ago, Lwc23 said:

I’d keep in mind that professors receive a lot of emails, so two weeks might be reasonable! If you didn’t already in the first email, make it clear that you’ll be able to provide copies of your sops, your transcripts, a resume, a list of schools you’re applying to, and any other pertinent information to help them write you a lor. I’d imagine that at least some professors will be understanding that you haven’t cultivated as close relationships as a distance student.

Thanks for the great advice. I was going to give them a few more weeks to respond. I'm sure they are insanely busy and get 100s of emails. We'll see!