Beating the Odds

laurynap

Question

Hey Grad Cafe Community, 

Long time reader, first time poster. I am entering my second round of applications, this time for a Soc PhD. Originally, I applied to Anth PhD programs fresh out of undergrad, which in hindsight, I fully understand and agree with not being admitted. That being said, after several years of "real world" experience and a more mature mind (I like to think) I believe I am in a better position to apply and (hopefully) get admitted. With that being said, I am just looking for general advice regarding applications, SOP, writing samples, the whole process. I am fairly confident this time around but as we all know, grad school can be difficult to get into for most disciplines. So any advice really (I know I am opening the flood gates here) would be particularly helpful. 

Looking forward to hearing from you all. 

Thanks, 

2 answers to this question

Hi! I'm applying to Soc programs too, and I found the Sociology thread on these forms super helpful. People have asked a lot of great questions over the years. I recommend going through there, because a lot of people in that form also have insight about the exact programs you're applying to. Good luck!

Hello! Just a couple of thoughts... If I were you I would try to understand how my real world experience changed me to make be a better candidate so that I might speak to those new strengths/skills in my app.

Also, given the results from last round, you might consider applying to some MS programs too. Your app strength may get you in at this level and you could use the experience as a springboard.

Good luck!

QM