More about "Fit": What did it mean to you?

Hello everyone,

I am trying to finalize a list of English Ph.D programs I'd like to apply to for this year's cycle, and my question now concerns a topic much discussed already, fit.

Namely, the act of trying to find a department that could support one's own interests.

My question is aimed at those already in a grad program; what did "fit" as an entity mean to you? Of the program you are attending, what specifically appealed to you about it? How many faculty worked within your "area," and what other things did you consider? (coursework, other students there, resources, ect).

It is becoming harder to discriminate between programs, as the ones in my final lists all look equally good. Is there an "x" factor, or something that would force one into preference over another? Did anyone apply to a place with little "fit," just because?

Any input, even from those also applying, will help me tremendously.

Thank you.

Edited by Hasspurple

I considered how many scholars were working/had worked in my period and how they're current interests aligned with mine. I went with programs that had at least two faculty who worked directly in my period and a few others who fit my critical interests. Mind you, this was less about me being particular and rather about making sure I had a chance at getting in somewhere. Really, though, I don' know how much (if at all) this approach affected the outcome. After admissions, I went with the program that made me the most academically uncomfortable/intimidated. That's not the only factor of course: logistics play a role, but it was nonetheless important. 

How many programs do you anticipate applying to? It might be a good move to apply to them all, if you have the means. 

Edited by snorkles

5 hours ago, snorkles said:

I considered how many scholars were working/had worked in my period and how they're current interests aligned with mine. I went with programs that had at least two faculty who worked directly in my period and a few others who fit my critical interests. Mind you, this was less about me being particular and rather about making sure I had a chance at getting in somewhere. Really, though, I don' know how much (if at all) this approach affected the outcome. After admissions, I went with the program that made me the most academically uncomfortable/intimidated. That's not the only factor of course: logistics play a role, but it was nonetheless important. 

How many programs do you anticipate applying to? It might be a good move to apply to them all, if you have the means. 

I think I will apply to like 7-15, depending on how many I feel would be potential fits, and the cost of course. There are some fringe ones that I feel less strongly about, but I hear your point about sending them when possible, just to see. I also like your idea about choosing the one that'd intimidate you least. I get some vibes from program websites and some certainly do feel more intense. I'll keep that in mind.

1 hour ago, Hasspurple said:

I think I will apply to like 7-15, depending on how many I feel would be potential fits, and the cost of course. There are some fringe ones that I feel less strongly about, but I hear your point about sending them when possible, just to see. I also like your idea about choosing the one that'd intimidate you least. I get some vibes from program websites and some certainly do feel more intense. I'll keep that in mind.

That's a large range. 10-12 seems to be a comfortable amount for many people. Also, I meant I chose the program that intimidated me the most. And by intimidation, I mean the program that offered a style and method I wasn't familiar with but I could learn a lot from. This was assuming all other factors were equal, of course (which wasn't and often isn't the case). I can't speak to the varied intensity of programs, but I'd bet you'll find most programs to be rigorous in their own ways. You might also consider some of the external factors to the university when considering fit. If there are locations where you refuse to live, then how good of a fit the program is for you may be of little importance.