High School Suspension on Applications

fairvercna

Question

I am a 4th year English student currently applying to MA and PhD programs. On some applications, they ask "Have you ever been expelled, dismissed, suspended, placed on probation, or otherwise subject to disciplinary sanction by any school, college, or university?"

I was suspended from high school for a day due to a situation where I slapped a boy who had been harassing me. Should I include this information? They ask for incidents in "any school," but a singular event that happened over eight years ago seems trivial. There was no arrest, just a single day of suspension. I had no trouble whatsoever in college. 

Is this information still relevant? How heavily will it impact my chances of admission?

2 answers to this question

3 hours ago, fairvercna said:

I am a 4th year English student currently applying to MA and PhD programs. On some applications, they ask "Have you ever been expelled, dismissed, suspended, placed on probation, or otherwise subject to disciplinary sanction by any school, college, or university?"

I was suspended from high school for a day due to a situation where I slapped a boy who had been harassing me. Should I include this information? They ask for incidents in "any school," but a singular event that happened over eight years ago seems trivial. There was no arrest, just a single day of suspension. I had no trouble whatsoever in college. 

Is this information still relevant? How heavily will it impact my chances of admission?

I recommend that you include the information. The omission of the event could potentially have a greater impact on your prospects than its inclusion depending upon the fine print of background check you may authorize when you submit the application. Admissions committees may be less willing to cut slack to an adult than to a minor.

As above, I'd recommend you include it. Something minor like that shouldn't be an issue. I believe this question is more being asked for those that may have been expelled/probation from a prior university for things such as drug use, plagarism, research fraud, low gpa scores etc. Things that would actively apply to the current program you'd be applying to.