Are the GRE scores of PhD applicants who already possess a graduate degree (e.g., MA, MS, etc.) less important?

uchenyy

I haven't been able to find a clear answer to this question. Say, for example, the applicant has succeeded in her MA program (i.e., high GPA, conference attendance, strong LORs, success in a quantitative methods course, etc.). Is this enough to offset weak GRE scores?

Whether or not they are less important is going to be determined by the program that you are applying to.  Supposing you didn't do well on the GRE, you could use your SOP to describe how you have demonstrated aptitude for graduate study in your MA program and you think that the accomplishments there are better predictors of your ability to succeed in a PhD.

You haven't been able to find a clear answer likely because there simply isn't one. From what I know, even two faculty members on the same program's admissions committee could have vastly different opinions on stuff like this. (I've been to a grad school app info session where one professor said "I think the personal statement is the most important part of your application" and immediately the next professor from the same department said "I usually just skip the personal statement". Likewise, there are people who completely disregard the GRE and then some who use it as a first-step cutoff.) 

Will all accomplishments during a Master's be considered positively? Of course. Out of those you listed, I think LORs and conference presentation (not mere attendance but actually doing a talk or poster) would weigh the most, whereas the Master's GPA won't change much (in my limited experience, most grad courses are more generous with grades compared to undergrad, so straight A's in grad school doesn't add much). But how much of all that is needed to make up for a bad GRE score would depend on how bad it is, how far back it was, your field of study and how much this particular program's ad com values GRE in general, and everything else like your undergrad GPA and personal statement.

Highly depends. A MS will have a dissertation, and potentially publications (your defense is considered a publication), so you automatically have a step up and evidence of your work compared to undergrad applicants. A MS will also have experience in the graduate process (writing, reading papers, doing research, etc.), this again will give you a step up. A MS will also have at least a LOR from their PI, a person who has gotten to know them (hopefully) for sometime and has followed their work and should have a good idea of their personality (these are substantially stronger than professors you've taken a course or 2 with), again another step up. 

All the above gives your application more weight, and thus, the GRE less weight. That being said, you might not have any publications, your PI might be very hands off and doesn'tknow you very well, your dissertation may be poorly written, etc. And vice versa, you might have an undergrad who did do research and did have publications, and collaborations (so great LOR), etc. 

In general, because of the above, a MS GRE will have less weight than an undergrads GRE; however as I have stated, you could have exceptions, and as others have also stated, the school is important as well (how much weight they put into each of the above criteria varies school to school/program to program). 

Edit:

Just wanted to say, if you did get a low GRE score. PhD programs are competitive, and the GRE is still an important factor. If you got a low score and have the ability to take it again, I would strongly recommend you do so. You want every edge you can get. 

Edited by samman1994