Planning Admissions 2020

On 2/28/2020 at 9:34 AM, Simran A said:

24/F/International

B.Arch/Country's top/2018

GPA - 3.4 (WES)

GRE  - 321, 5.0AWA

TOEFL - 113

Work Experience: Solid 1.5 years in urban design, alongside a part-time research fellowship at a think tank in the city. 1 Planning internship, 1 Landscape architecture internship, 1 architecture writing internship. Won a major international competition and worked as a consultant to take that project ahead. 1 semester of teaching at my alma mater (part-time) after graduation

Letter of recommendations: 1 from undergrad thesis guide, 1 from undergrad professor (worked under him for a separate research project), 1 from current employer, 1 from fellowship facilitator

Schools applied to: 

Urban Planning: MIT, UPenn, UC Berkeley & UIUC

Urban Design: Harvard, GATech, Michigan & UT Austin

In: UPenn ($TBA)

UIUC (15k merit)

GATech ($TBA)

Michigan ($TBA)

Out: UC Berkeley

Wait-list

Awaiting: Harvard and MIT (UT Austin Interview soon!)

(From UPenn): I got an early notification email from Prof. Lisa Servon on 14 Feb. I got the same email again, just now, from Prof. Zhongjie Lin, but the official acceptance letter and financial aid date changed to 12 March. Anyone else received the early notification twice?

8 hours ago, in_cog_nito said:

Anyone on here happen to be the person reporting an acceptance call from MIT? I do find it odd that the call would be made on a Sunday... but I'm mostly just anxious about hearing back. 

Ohhh i'm anxious about this as well now

18 minutes ago, AAdams313 said:

Me too! Definitely triggered some latent anxiety...

Work stress and this stress aren't gelling together well. I just need to know if either of Rutgers or MIT are going to give me a better offer, otherwise I'm off to uiuc.

On 2/21/2020 at 11:03 AM, mcasey24 said:

Age/Gender/Citizenship

24/F/US

Undergraduate degree/School/Year graduated 

Architectural Studies + Economics/Tufts/2018

GPA - GRE  - TOEFL (for Int'l students) 

3.84 - 157(V) 163 (Q) 4.5 (W)

Work Experience:

2 Years at Landscape Architecture + Urban Planning Firm, internships at architecture firm and a regional planning council

Letter of recommendations:

College Coach, Undergrad Professor, Current Employer (Principal of Urban Planning at my firm)

Schools applied to:

In: 

UC Berkeley MCP ($TBA)

UPenn MCP ($TBA)

Harvard MUP (50% merit)

UMichigan MURP

Out: 

Wait-list

Awaiting: 

MIT MCP

Results: 

Update: In at Harvard, they called on Friday, but no official notice yet

Age/Gender/Citizenship

26/F/USA

Sociology/State University/2015

GPA - GRE  

3.7/4.0 

153 Q 167 V 5 W

Work Experience:

housing case management direct service/communications for advocacy organization

Letter of recommendations: (from whom)

1 from current employer, 1 from former employer, 1 from employment network. I had none from professors.

Schools applied to: 

I only applied to Harvard and MIT

In: 

Harvard (just heard today, 3/2)

Awaiting: 

MIT

On 10/26/2019 at 1:17 AM, allig8r said:

Age/Gender/Citizenship: 25, male, USA

Undergraduate degree/School/Year graduated: landscape architecture, flagship state school, 2019

GPA: 3.5

GRE: 167V/165Q, awaiting results of AW but will likely retake for higher verbal score

Work Experience: Internships with local LA firm and my city’s public works org in the transportation engineering and design component. Currently working for a housing nonprofit

Letters of recommendation: Director of the nonprofit I work for, LA department head from my university, and a prof with whom I am fairly close. Department head and professor are GSD alumni

Schools applying to: Berkeley, Harvard, MIT, Penn, maybe 1-2 others. Pretty comfortable with the prospect of applying again next year hence the lack of “safety” schools

Leaning hard on my GRE scores and personal statement/writing samples

In at GSD

On 1/18/2020 at 5:16 PM, in_cog_nito said:

I must admit, the anticipation is already starting to get to me... March seems so far away! Good luck everyone!

Age/Gender/Citizenship: 

26/M/USA

Undergraduate degree/School/Year graduated: 

Geography major, Environmental Studies and Human-Centered Design double minor /Ivy League University/2016

GPA - GRE  - TOEFL (for Int'l students):

167 V / 158 Q / 5.5 W

Work Experience: 

Postgraduate Climate Change Fellowship/UN Migration Internship; Program Assistant for NYC Mayor's Office Youth Civic Engagement Program; Development at a Architecture Preservation Nonprofit

1 undergrad geography professor; 1 environmental studies undergrad professor; 1 NYC Mayor's Office Supervisor

Schools applied to

In:

Harvard GSD (MUP), Rutgers (MCRP), Berkeley (MCP)

Awaiting: 

MIT (MCP), UCLA (MUP)

Update: in at Harvard and Rutgers

On 3/1/2020 at 2:00 AM, MildlyJaded said:

Age/Gender/Citizenship

24/M/International

Undergraduate degree/School/Year graduated 

Economics/2018

GPA - GRE  - TOEFL (for Int'l students) 

3.4- 321 (164 V 157Q) - 112

Work Experience:

Solid research experience in undergrad with reputable publishing professors. TAship in undergrad. Post-graduation, solid 1.5 years at a top development consulting/policy researc firm on major donor funded projects. Worked with pretty well known consultants and researchers. 

Letter of recommendations: (from whom)

One from a professor I took 3 courses with. Also did 2 RAships with the same professor. 

One from the chairman/director of current workplace. Ex-WB chap. Adviser to provincial and federal govts. 

One from a consultant/researcher I worked with post-graduation on 3-4 projects (this was a last minute rescue) 

Schools applied to: 

MIT, Rutgers, Cornell, UIUC

In: college name + course + scholarship amount

Cornell, MRP, 7900 usd per year

UIUC, MUP, Graduate Assistantship for the first year with 9000 usd stipend. 

Awaiting: MIT and Rutgers

Results: Cornell is out because can't afford and no inclination to take on debt. Waiting for MIT and Rutgers. UIUC is a very real possibility. 

Update: In at Rutgers. Financial aid information to come soon.

Age/Gender/Citizenship: 

26/M/USA

Geography major + Environmental Studies and Human-Centered Design double minor/Ivy League University/2016

3.79 GPA / 167V 158Q 5.5W

Work Experience: 

Postgraduate Climate Change Fellowship/UN Migration Internship; Program Assistant for NYC Mayor's Office Youth Civic Engagement Program; Development at a Architecture Preservation Nonprofit

1 undergrad geography professor; 1 environmental studies undergrad professor; 1 NYC Mayor's Office Supervisor

Schools applied to

In:

MIT (MCP), Harvard GSD (MUP), Rutgers (MCRP), Berkeley (MCP)

Awaiting: 

UCLA (MUP)

Call from DUSP professor today - in at MIT!!!

On 3/2/2020 at 10:28 AM, in_cog_nito said:

Congratulations on GSD @mcasey24! Here's hoping we all hear back with some good news soon.

Thank you and congrats to you on GSD!! Here's to hoping MIT comes out soon!

Edited by mcasey24

On 3/2/2020 at 3:40 PM, adri_lh said:

Age/Gender/Citizenship

26/F/USA

Sociology/State University/2015

GPA - GRE  

3.7/4.0 

153 Q 167 V 5 W

Work Experience:

housing case management direct service/communications for advocacy organization

Letter of recommendations: (from whom)

1 from current employer, 1 from former employer, 1 from employment network. I had none from professors.

Schools applied to: 

I only applied to Harvard and MIT

In: 

Harvard (just heard today, 3/2)

Awaiting: 

MIT

Update: out at MIT. Guess I'm going to Harvard :) that sentence feels strange to write.

On 2/18/2020 at 11:42 AM, Herstoriess said:

Age/Gender/Citizenship

24/F/Chinese

GIS/Urban Planning/California

3.4 - 160(V) 168(Q)

Work Experience: 2 years in transportation planning

Letter of recommendations: 2 from college professors (research, courses), one from current employer

Schools applied to:

(Cornell Urban Tech in NYC)

University of Chicago Harris School of Public Policy (MSCAPP)

UC Berkeley (Planning)

UPenn (Planning)
Tufts (Data analytics)

In: 

UofC MSCAPP (20%)

UC Berkeley (TBA)

UPenn (TBA)

Out: 

Wait-list

Awaiting:  Tufts

Results: debating whether I want to fully commit to a planning program and work in the planning field after graduation. MSCAPP seems to offer a more wider range of career options and higher employment rate. There is also a new Cornell Urban Tech program that I'm considering applying to.

Update: Berkeley said I'm not getting any fellowship from the first round of funding. They'll see if there's any resources left for me by April 14.

On 2/21/2020 at 11:03 AM, mcasey24 said:

Age/Gender/Citizenship

24/F/US

Architectural Studies + Economics/Tufts/2018

3.84 - 157(V) 163 (Q) 4.5 (W)

Work Experience:

2 Years at Landscape Architecture + Urban Planning Firm, internships at architecture firm and a regional planning council

College Coach, Undergrad Professor, Current Employer (Principal of Urban Planning at my firm)

Schools applied to:

In: 

UC Berkeley MCP (In State Tuition)

UPenn MCP ($TBA)

Harvard MUP (50% Merit)

UMichigan MURP

Out: 

MIT MCP

Wait-list

Awaiting: 

Results: 

Update: Out at MIT, deciding mostly between UC Berkeley and Harvard now

On 10/26/2019 at 1:17 AM, allig8r said:

Age/Gender/Citizenship: 25, male, USA

Undergraduate degree/School/Year graduated: landscape architecture, flagship state school, 2019

GPA: 3.5

GRE: 167V/165Q, awaiting results of AW but will likely retake for higher verbal score

Work Experience: Internships with local LA firm and my city’s public works org in the transportation engineering and design component. Currently working for a housing nonprofit

Letters of recommendation: Director of the nonprofit I work for, LA department head from my university, and a prof with whom I am fairly close. Department head and professor are GSD alumni

Schools applying to: Berkeley (in), Harvard (in), MIT (out). Pretty comfortable with the prospect of applying again next year hence the lack of “safety” schools

Leaning hard on my GRE scores and personal statement/writing samples

Also out at MIT, as expected. Family friend is emeritus DUSP faculty and told me point-blank that I would need more experience. Now deciding between GSD and Berkeley

On 3/1/2020 at 2:00 AM, MildlyJaded said:

Age/Gender/Citizenship

24/M/International

Economics/2018

GPA - GRE  - TOEFL (for Int'l students) 

3.4- 321 (164 V 157Q) - 112

Work Experience:

Solid research experience in undergrad with reputable publishing professors. TAship in undergrad. Post-graduation, solid 1.5 years at a top development consulting/policy researc firm on major donor funded projects. Worked with pretty well known consultants and researchers. 

Letter of recommendations: (from whom)

One from a professor I took 3 courses with. Also did 2 RAships with the same professor. 

One from the chairman/director of current workplace. Ex-WB chap. Adviser to provincial and federal govts. 

One from a consultant/researcher I worked with post-graduation on 3-4 projects (this was a last minute rescue) 

Schools applied to: 

MIT, Rutgers, Cornell, UIUC

In: college name + course + scholarship amount

Cornell, MRP, 7900 usd per year

UIUC, MUP, Graduate Assistantship for the first year with 9000 usd stipend. 

Awaiting: MIT and Rutgers

Results: Cornell is out because can't afford and no inclination to take on debt. Waiting for MIT and Rutgers. UIUC is a very real possibility. 

Final tally: in at Cornell, UIUC,and Rutgers. Out at MIT (sorta expected). Cornell has refused to give anything beyond the 16k. UIUC's offer is pretty good and yet to hear from Rutgers on financial aid. Initially, I wasn't committed to graduate school fully and was open to delaying another year. But now that i've gotten in to three pretty great schools, I'm now in the mood to go. Since I'm an international student, costs are very very important (our currency depreciated by 50% over two years against the usd) and career wise i'm not looking at planning the way it exists in the US, but more like how it fits in with public policy and the development sector. I know the respective strengths of each of the three schools but looking for perspectives from others on the reputations. Even though Rutgers is ranked number 3 on planetizen, the Ivys have a global reputation that is difficult to ignore. Should i delay another year and try for GSD or MIT again? Or do Rutgers and UIUC punch above their weight?

Age/Gender/Citizenship
23/f/us 

BA sociology/private university/2018

3.88/4

164 V, 158 Q, 5.5 AW

Work Experience:
lot of internship and 2 years full time work experience but none in planning. Mostly service and policy oriented background

2 professors, 1 former employer

Schools applied to:

In: UIC, 5k a year scholarship; UNC TA position with full tuition and stipend; UPenn awaiting funding; UMich 6k scholarship 

Wait-list:

Harvard GSD. Does anybody know how likely it is to be pulled off the waitlist? Or when I’ll get a final decision? I can’t find anything about it online. I only saw a couple people each year posting they were waitlisted at gsd so I’m just trying to figure out if this likely a no or if it’s worth staying on the waitlist. I didn’t get an email, I just checked the portal when other people posted their decisions. I’m planning to concentrate in community/housing development if that makes any difference 

Age/Gender/Citizenship: 

26 / M / USA

Geography major, Environmental Studies and Human-Centered Design double minor / Ivy League University / 2016

3.79 GPA - 167V / 158Q / 5.5W

Work Experience: 

Schools applied to

In:

MIT (MCP) - received tuition grant and research assistantship

Harvard GSD (MUP) - aid TBD

Rutgers (MCRP) - aid TBD

Berkeley (MCP) - received DCRP fellowship

UCLA (MUP) - received first-year teaching assistantship

Update: In at UCLA! Incredibly fortunate to have many options to weigh now. I hope some of my declines go to folks on waitlists!

Age/Gender/Citizenship

25-f-us

Geography/urban studies - 2017

GPA - GRE  - TOEFL (for Int'l students) 

3.84 - 163 v 164 q 4.5 aw

in:

university of Chicago Harris (Mscapp) ($15,000)

Harvard GSD (TBD) 

university of Pennsylvania weitzman (TBD)

nyu Wagner ($10,000)

Columbia Gsapp ( No money)

Arizona state university (full-tuition)

out:

mit 

Results I won’t be able to attend any admitted student days, so I’m hoping to gain some insights from this forum to make the difficult decision ahead easier. I’m looking to concentrate on urban analytics. Does anyone know anything about asu? It’s hard to refuse full-tuition but I don’t know how the program stacks up with the others. I know it would be a fine program, but it doesn’t offer the specific urban analytics concentration I’m interested in like the other programs. Anyone have any tips on how to decide? Thank you!

8 hours ago, tt3456 said:

Age/Gender/Citizenship

25-f-us

Geography/urban studies - 2017

GPA - GRE  - TOEFL (for Int'l students) 

3.84 - 163 v 164 q 4.5 aw

in:

university of Chicago Harris (Mscapp) ($15,000)

Harvard GSD (TBD) 

university of Pennsylvania weitzman (TBD)

nyu Wagner ($10,000)

Columbia Gsapp ( No money)

Arizona state university (full-tuition)

out:

mit 

Results I won’t be able to attend any admitted student days, so I’m hoping to gain some insights from this forum to make the difficult decision ahead easier. I’m looking to concentrate on urban analytics. Does anyone know anything about asu? It’s hard to refuse full-tuition but I don’t know how the program stacks up with the others. I know it would be a fine program, but it doesn’t offer the specific urban analytics concentration I’m interested in like the other programs. Anyone have any tips on how to decide? Thank you!

What program did you get admitted to at Arizona State? I also got into Harris MSCAPP and Weitzman MCP, debating between going into planning or doing data science + broader public policy.

4 hours ago, Herstoriess said:

What program did you get admitted to at Arizona State? I also got into Harris MSCAPP and Weitzman MCP, debating between going into planning or doing data science + broader public policy.

To clarify, all the programs were either mup or mcp. ASU’s program is specifically called Master of Urban and Environmental planning (Muep). I’m having the same dilemma as you- Harris’s Mscapp program seems like it would provide the most concrete data analytics skills I’m looking for, but I have a strong interest in applying these type of skills to cities. I also think that having a mup or mcp is a specific degree that employers know and value. However, Harris seems like it still has impressive post-graduation job placements, even some urban planning related ones.

On 2/10/2020 at 2:37 PM, dino515 said:

Age/Gender/Citizenship 25, woman, USA

Undergraduate degree/School/Year graduated BA Urban Studies, Pre-Professional Design, 2016

GPA - GRE  156V, 153Q, 4.5W

Work Experience: Jr. Architectural Designer, NYC gov 

Schools applied to: NYU Wagner MUP, Pratt Sustainable Environmental Systems, UC Berkeley MCP

In: Pratt SES

Out: 

Wait-list 

Awaiting: NYU Wagner MUP, UCB MCP

In: Pratt MS Sustainable Environmental Systems (36k total) , NYU Wagner MUP (10k /year, part-time) 

Waitlisted: Berkeley for MCP Environmental Design Healthy Cities. Hoping for funding if the acceptance comes in! 

Anyone else waitlisted?