Clinical psychology programs with ABA?

Megan955

Hey everyone. I’m applying to clinical psychology programs this year (PsyDs and PhDs) and I’m wondering if I’m missing any programs in the US northeast area that have faculty researching/practicing Applied Behavior Analysis? My list so far is only Rutgers (where I’m currently a student), JMU, and Binghamton. 

I also looked into West Virginia, however their program is a PhD in psychology, not clinical psychology. Would this limit me in the future in terms of being able to diagnose autism? This is something I’d like to explore in grad school. Thanks!

Edited by Megan955

ABA and clinical psychology are two separate fields, so you probably won't find too many programs that offer a concentration in ABA. It is also an MA level licensure, vs psych is doctorate. You also don't need to be licensed in ABA to diagnose Autism. ABA therapists provide the treatment, but clinical psychologists are typically the ones who diagnose the disorder. I would focus on programs that are strong in pediatric/developmental neuropsych.

Thanks for your response! I’m currently getting a masters in psychology and ABA, and will sit for the BCBA exam before a doctorate. I’m now looking for programs in clinical psych, but I’d like to go somewhere where I can 1. Explore diagnosis and 2. Still be involved with ABA research and practice somehow! 

I agree with the other post. I would also highly recommend these resources if you're interested in ABA -

Book recommendations:
“The Real Experts,” edited by Michelle Sutton
“Loud Hands,” edited by Julia Bascom
“Typed Words, Loud Voices,” edited by Amy Sequenza and Ibby Grace

If web-based reading is convenient for you, I highly recommend both Lydia Brown and Jess Wilson as starting points. Jess (https://adiaryofamom.com/) is not autistic – she comes to the autism community as a parent - but highly values the work and lived experience of self-advocates. (I firmly believe that is a crucial perspective for anyone hoping to support autistic children!) On the sidebar of Jess’ blog, she links to multiple informative posts, including “a good roundup of autistic perspectives on ABA.” (That link leads here: https://sociallyanxiousadvocate.wordpress.com/2015/05/22/why-i-left-aba/

Lydia Brown is an autistic educator, speaker, and policy advocate. You can find video coverage of their presentations at various conferences. Additionally, Lydia put together a directory of resources which can be accessed here: http://www.autistichoya.com/p/resources.html. Some of the pieces are explicitly about ABA, others are just a good exercise in shifting perspective especially the work of Jen Msumba, Kassiane Sibley (radical activist who writes at http://timetolisten.blogspot.com/), and Emma Zurcher-Long (nonspeaking teenager who has a documentary, titled “Unspoken.”)

For other related things, I highly recommend the research and popular articles by Vikram Jaswal at University of Virginia. 

Maybe some of these authors can help you find a program that'll be the best fit for your interests and the best option for your future career!

On 10/20/2019 at 5:48 PM, Megan955 said:

Hey everyone. I’m applying to clinical psychology programs this year (PsyDs and PhDs) and I’m wondering if I’m missing any programs in the US northeast area that have faculty researching/practicing Applied Behavior Analysis? My list so far is only Rutgers (where I’m currently a student), JMU, and Binghamton. 

I also looked into West Virginia, however their program is a PhD in psychology, not clinical psychology. Would this limit me in the future in terms of being able to diagnose autism? This is something I’d like to explore in grad school. Thanks!

Who is your PI for Rutgers?