The Academic Writing Club

Adelaide9216

Sooo. considering that I don't have writing buddies, and that I need accountability when it comes to writing, I joined the Academic Writing Club. I'm taking a chance on this, to see if it would work. has anyone tried this before?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! In my program, we formed an informal writing group that meets once a week at a local brewery. It was started as an ethnographic writing group, but really we welcome anyone (from any grad program or subfield) who wants to be productive and get some writing or other work done for a few hours each week. We work quietly for 2-ish hours, then we socialize for another hour-ish. It helps create a sense of community and is a productive space to get feedback from other students in different stages of their program, whether it's applying for grants, courses to take, software to use, teaching tips, etc.

I've found it useful, and I don't think it would be too difficult to generate interest from other grad students at your own school! Try posting to a social media group or sending an email out, even putting together a flyer to share. You might find more people are interested than you think. Or, if you're already part of any working groups or student orgs, share the idea with them as well. I think it also helps to hold this type of group in an informal community space or setting.