SLPA in TX

Hi all I'm relatively new to gradcafe (and this field admittedly) and I thought I should ask for some help before going into something with no guidance and making silly errors. I'm due to graduate this fall 2019 and I was thinking of possibly taking a gap year and apply in the next grad school cycle because I feel like my application isn't  strong enough and I wanted more experience-- hence me looking into becoming an SLPA. However I already have some obstacles in order to do this. First, I don't have my 25 observation hours and I know that is required. There was a course at my university that made it possible yo get them, however I had extenuating circumstances and time conflicts that hindered me in getting my hours so I know that is the first step.

Additionally, this is all very new to me and I am confused as to how the rest of the licensure process in order to become an SLPA in TX works. I was looking on both ASHA and the TDLR website and they both say that a "Speech Language Pathology Supervisory Responsibility Statement Form" is to be completed by a licensed SLP in order for them to be your supervisor. I'll paste the "Supervisory Requirement" section below: 

"An assistant in speech-language pathology must work under the supervision of a licensed speech-language pathologist who agrees to assume responsibility for all services provided by the assistant. You must propose a supervisory relationship with a licensed speech-language pathologist and be added to your proposed supervisor’s license before supervision may begin. Applicants should submit a Speech Language Pathology Supervisory Responsibility Statement Form (PDF) completed by the licensed supervisor who agrees to accept responsibility for the services provided by the assistant. Your supervisor must have at least two years of professional experience in providing direct client services, which may include an internship year (clinical fellowship) year. Your supervisor may not supervise more than a total of four interns and/or assistants at one time, and your supervisor must not be your parent or child. Note: Supervisors must be approved by the department prior to supervising assistants."

If I am understanding correctly does that mean I need to find an SLP to take me under their wing and ask if they can be my supervisor while I apply for my SLPA license? How do I go about asking that?  Would this be a job or internship? For example should I be looking for job listings for SLPA's in my city? Am I allowed to apply for the job and ask the SLP if they can be my supervisor while I start the application process for my license? I am just confused about the timeline for this. Or should I reach out to any SLP's and ask outright if they can be my supervisor while I observe and get the clinical experience required for TX standards. On ASHA it states "no fewer than 25 hours of clinical observation in the area of speech-language pathology and 25 hours of clinical assisting experience in speech-language pathology" are required, so does that mean I just need an SLP to be a supervisor for me for 25 hours for the clinical assisting experience and then also obtain 25 observation hours at the same place? There are not many SLP's in my city, and I'm not quite sure what to ask them, I just don't want to sound like an idiot. I don't know if I'm making this more difficult than it needs to be, but I thought I should ask for some clarification before reaching out to anyone.

Apologies if this is all over the place and any & all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Hello,

I am an SLP assistant in TX. When I applied it was not under TDLR yet but I am assuming the process is the same. For the observation hours, the school I went to did not offer the observation classes so I had to have a form signed by the director of the program. I think it was called a difficiency plan. Anyways, this was to prove that I couldn't get them through a class. Then I looked for a clinic that would allow me to come in and do my 25 direct and 25 indirect observation hours. This was not a paid position. They assigned me to an SLP and It took me three weeks to get all my hours done. The supervisor had to first sign paperwork and submit it. I think they get an email back approving it.....not sure. After you do all 50 hours, they fill out paper work that I believe you submit as a part of your application. I don't remember everything about the application but I can try and answer any other questions you have. Oh and when I was looking for an SLP to observe me I called clinics and asked to speak to the clinic director or manager and told them I was applying for my assistants license and wanted to know if they would allow me to do my observation hours with them. I got a lot of clinics saying no and then some clinics saying yes but they wanted me to sign a 3-5 year contract saying I was going to work there. Which I did not. I think they did this bc they put time into "training" you and then want something in return.  The clinic that let me do hours with them did hire me after I got my license, which was fortunate. Anyways, hopefully this helps. It can definitely be a confusing process.

I am also hoping to become an SLPA in Texas. I have completed most of my courses through the TWU leveling program. I have two courses left but they are not available until the Fall semester. I am taking this time to study for the GRE and hopefully get these observation hours done. Do you know if I am able to complete the hours before I have the courses done? Do I need to be signed up for a certain course to complete the hours or can I complete them on my own?

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/28/2019 at 9:53 AM, amandahunt said:

I am also hoping to become an SLPA in Texas. I have completed most of my courses through the TWU leveling program. I have two courses left but they are not available until the Fall semester. I am taking this time to study for the GRE and hopefully get these observation hours done. Do you know if I am able to complete the hours before I have the courses done? Do I need to be signed up for a certain course to complete the hours or can I complete them on my own?

Thank you!

I did not level, but as someone who is currently in TWU distance Cycle 10 program, almost half of the cohort did. I know from those in my region, 5 out of the 7 of us leveled through TWU and they completed the observation and direct therapy hours as a course through TWU this past spring, completing the course a couple of weeks before kick off week in Denton. The other girl and myself were already SLP-assistants and got our 25 hours of observation through Tech. We just completed the direct therapy when we were hired for our first SLP-A jobs. When I applied for my license, I had something like 60 days to complete my direct therapy but that’s changed since they switched to TDLR. Depends on what your plans are. I know you need to have certain courses completed by the time you apply for licensure but I don’t think it’s a set thing for your hours. If you plan on becoming a SLP, your observation hours MUST be university directed or you will need to take the course, regardless of your licensure. I had to submit to TWU a letter from Texas Tech HSC that had them done in their program so ASHA will accept them. 

• 3 months later...
On 10/21/2019 at 10:03 PM, Ggslpa said:

Hello,

I am an SLP assistant in TX. When I applied it was not under TDLR yet but I am assuming the process is the same. For the observation hours, the school I went to did not offer the observation classes so I had to have a form signed by the director of the program. I think it was called a difficiency plan. Anyways, this was to prove that I couldn't get them through a class. Then I looked for a clinic that would allow me to come in and do my 25 direct and 25 indirect observation hours. This was not a paid position. They assigned me to an SLP and It took me three weeks to get all my hours done. The supervisor had to first sign paperwork and submit it. I think they get an email back approving it.....not sure. After you do all 50 hours, they fill out paper work that I believe you submit as a part of your application. I don't remember everything about the application but I can try and answer any other questions you have. Oh and when I was looking for an SLP to observe me I called clinics and asked to speak to the clinic director or manager and told them I was applying for my assistants license and wanted to know if they would allow me to do my observation hours with them. I got a lot of clinics saying no and then some clinics saying yes but they wanted me to sign a 3-5 year contract saying I was going to work there. Which I did not. I think they did this bc they put time into "training" you and then want something in return.  The clinic that let me do hours with them did hire me after I got my license, which was fortunate. Anyways, hopefully this helps. It can definitely be a confusing process.

Hi! 

Quick question; Im almost done with my online SLPA certification program and Im based in Texas! What is the Jurisprudence Exam like? Was it difficult? Is it something that I would have to study for? I realized this is more than one question (haha) but I just want to know what to expect and is it difficult to obtain the license here in Texas? Thank you!! 

On 2/24/2020 at 3:19 PM, Jackiee.san said:

Hi! 

Quick question; Im almost done with my online SLPA certification program and Im based in Texas! What is the Jurisprudence Exam like? Was it difficult? Is it something that I would have to study for? I realized this is more than one question (haha) but I just want to know what to expect and is it difficult to obtain the license here in Texas? Thank you!! 

The jurisprudence exam isn't difficult at all! There's no need to study for that, but if I remember correctly, I think it allows you to go back on questions that you answered incorrectly in order to get them right. (took the exam like ~3 years ago)

20 hours ago, Nataliaspeech said:

The jurisprudence exam isn't difficult at all! There's no need to study for that, but if I remember correctly, I think it allows you to go back on questions that you answered incorrectly in order to get them right. (took the exam like ~3 years ago)

Thank you so much for your response!! I've also heard that its not difficult and that I shouldn't study for it. Thank you again!