English Lit subject test scores "recommended but not required," do I send?

WildeingOut

If a university does not require the subject test but accepts subject test scores, would you recommend that I send mine? I took the exam and didn't do all that well (510, 36th percentile), but my general GRE score was stronger in the verbal reasoning and analytical writing areas (163 VR, 93rd percentile, and 5.5 AW, 98th percentile). I've heard that taking the subject test can be perceived as an indication of seriousness, even if the score isn't all that great. 

I know this might be a difficult question to answer since programs are different and it's likely difficult to definitively say, but in your experience, would you recommend that I send the subject score or hold off? I'm wary of sending a low score that might detract/distract from other stronger elements of my application.

I personally wouldn't send the subject test score. If it isn't required, its absence will not be held against you. Sending a strong score makes sense, since maybe it would be used to give you an edge over an otherwise equal candidate, but sending a weaker score might put you at a disadvantage. Your GRE verbal is where it needs to be, so why roll the dice? Only send what you're confident makes you a stronger applicant. Good luck!