Fall 2020 Biostats/Survey Methodology Profile

remillion

I am planning on applying to MS (maybe possibly PhD if there is a chance) programs in biostats and PhD programs in survey methodology.

1. Do I have a chance at any PhD programs in biostats, if I can get my GRE score up?

2. How badly is the C- in Mathematical Statistics going to hurt? My school won't let me retake it for a grade.

Also I was accepted into on accelerated MS track at UMass Amherst last year

Undergrad Institution: USNWR 30-35 LAC

Major: Statistics and Psychology

GPA: 3.72

Student: Domestic Asian Female

Courses: placed out of Calc I, Calc 2 (A), Calc 3 (A-), Linear Algebra (B+), Discrete Math (A), Probability (A-), Mathematical Statistics (C-), Survey Sampling (A) , Introduction to Statistics (A), Intermediate Statistics (A-), Design and Analysis of Experiments (A), Applied Regression methods (currently taking) 

GRE: 156Q, 163 V, 4.0 Writing, taking again (164 Q on last practice test)

Research/Work Experience: Summer research internship in biostats department at UMass Amherst, JPSM Junior Fellow at National Center for Education Statistics, research assistant in psychology lab, TA and grader in stats department

Applying to: 

University of Maryland Joint Program in Survey Methodology PhD-statistical track

University of Michigan Program in Survey Methodology Phd-statistical track

UMass Amherst biostats 

GWU biostats

Georgetown biostats

BU biostats

not sure if I should bother with PhDs for any of them

I can't comment on your chance of getting into stats phd program because I'm also applying this year and have no idea. As to other questions, I personally think a C- in Mathematical Statistics is going to hurt at least a little because one class you will need to take in any graduate stats program is a graduate version of this. A C- is like a passing grade close to almost D so some people may question it a little bit. But this is not a death sentence because your performance on other math, stats classes are very strong, and your research is very strong too. I think you should add a note to explain why this class didn't go as well. That said, you must increase your quant GRE score for like ~10 points which seem to me is your other weakness. The practice test score is very good. Replicate that in a real test and you are good to go.

2 hours ago, remillion said:

If y'all wouldn't mind answering, what kind of shot do you think I have at the programs I listed above, if for the biostats ones, I just applied to the masters? 

I'd be a little worried about your GRE Q score, but if you get a 160+ when you retake it I'd imagine you'll get in there. Most master's programs aren't very competitive since you're paying your own way.  The C- will hurt for PhD applications.

• 5 months later...

UPDATE:

Raised my GPA to a 3.746 by the end of fall semester senior year, got an A- in Applied Regression Methods

University of Maryland Joint Program in Survey Methodology PhD-statistical track-accepted

University of Michigan Program in Survey Methodology PhD-statistical track-accepted with 20 hr a week RA position

UMass Amherst biostats-still pending

GWU MS biostats-accepted, 12K scholarship

Georgetown MS biostats-accepted

BU MA biostats-accepted

UAlbany MS biostats-accepted