Research experience on CV

What are others' thoughts on listing "Research Experience" on one's CV? What counts? I write in my SOP about my experiences with a variety of individualized research projects in undergrad, but they were all coursework-related, so I don't think they belong in their own section on my CV, as they're all reflected on my transcript. The only other thing I can think might count are a couple of relevant internships, but I have those listed under "Employment" and certainly don't want to list them twice. Will it look suspect if I just don't have a "Research Experience" section? Is that mandatory?

Also curious how others have approached listing language proficiency and whether it's worth listing languages in which one has only elementary proficiency.

As an applicant with only a B.A., I opted to put a research experience section on my CV. I listed two editorial projects I did with a professor (one paid, one unpaid), my participation in a special scholarly program at my university, and an independent project I completed after graduation with a professor's guidance. This last undertaking resulted in an essay that I am using as a writing sample, so I thought putting it on my CV was useful. Having a section on research experience may not work for everyone, but it helped me to categorize some experiences that are relevant to my background.

Also, I think it's worthwhile to list languages in which you have only an elementary proficiency, especially if the language is relevant to your research interests.

Edited by Wimsey

I am applying from BA & including a research section that lists an independent study and an upper level seminar structured around independent research projects. I don’t think it hurts to include these, but they also won’t be expecting you to have anything substantial in this arena as an undergrad (from my understanding).