Academic Integrity Issue and Already Accepted Into a Program

jad1315

Question

Hi all,

To give a background to the title, I am currently a senior in my undergraduate university and am in an academic integrity case that claims I cheated on an online exam in one of my courses for the semester. Not to go into finer detail, but I did not cheat on this exam, however it is difficult to refute with the evidence they have and it will likely result in some form of sanction. By the university's policy, it seems like the sanction will likely result in an XF on my transcript that can be removed in 6-12 months and will just remain as an F. 

Also a part of this situation is the fact that I recently got accepted into a graduate program right before the case was brought up. Before any sanctions, I was planning on driving to the university, explaining the situation in full and both sides on the case, and hoping they might understand the situation. Without going into the details of the case, does anybody have any advice if this is a good idea considering the scenario? I'm coming into the situation expecting the worst (an XF and loss of acceptance) and hoping for the best, but am trying to be realistic considering the scenario. If I lost my acceptance, I would likely take a year off to get the XF removed and try to find work in the field (physical therapy) and do my best with the situation. 

If anybody has any advice on the situation in general as well, it would be much appreciated. Thanks for anyone taking the time to read and/or respond as well.

5 answers to this question

I currently work as graduate-level Honor Review Board member at our University's Office of Student Conduct (the people who handle student conduct infractions and academic integrity issues). The best advice I can give is to ask whoever is the director of your undergraduate University's Student Conduct/Academic Integrity department what their advice would be AFTER your hearing. It sounds like you haven't had the review yet and you may not end up with an XF if you argue your case well. I've worked on cases where students fabricated, plagiarized, etc. and did not get an XF (XF is default at our school as well).

If you are found responsible and they decide upon a sanction, then go to the director and ask what they would recommend. I think it would be in your best interest to inform your new school once responsibility ad sanctioning has been decided, not before.

2 hours ago, ClinicalPsychApp2020 said:

I currently work as graduate-level Honor Review Board member at our University's Office of Student Conduct (the people who handle student conduct infractions and academic integrity issues). The best advice I can give is to ask whoever is the director of your undergraduate University's Student Conduct/Academic Integrity department what their advice would be AFTER your hearing. It sounds like you haven't had the review yet and you may not end up with an XF if you argue your case well. I've worked on cases where students fabricated, plagiarized, etc. and did not get an XF (XF is default at our school as well).

If you are found responsible and they decide upon a sanction, then go to the director and ask what they would recommend. I think it would be in your best interest to inform your new school once responsibility ad sanctioning has been decided, not before.

Thank you for the response, sounds like going after any possible sanction would be the best course of action. 

2 hours ago, ClinicalPsychApp2020 said:

I think it would be in your best interest to inform your new school once responsibility ad sanctioning has been decided, not before.

At the same time, double check the fine print on all relevant documents for your graduate program and the parent college/university. I suggest that you make sure that you have and are answering truthfully questions like "Have you been charged with...?" I also suggest that you double check to see if your consent to a background check is open ended. That is, can your new institution go back and check again and again? (Will they see the XF, and then the F, and then something else if the whole thing gets dropped, and then, call you in and ask for an explanation?)

Another issue to consider is your reputation. How you talk about this unfortunate event in the future is going to matter to at least one person who will have power over you and/or whose support you will need. Is the narrative you present in your OP the best way to tell the story? Is it possible for you to reflect upon the whole thing and figure out lessons learned? Under no circumstances should you admit to doing something that you didn't and it is important to understand how denials can sound to some. 

On 12/11/2019 at 7:57 PM, Sigaba said:

At the same time, double check the fine print on all relevant documents for your graduate program and the parent college/university. I suggest that you make sure that you have and are answering truthfully questions like "Have you been charged with...?" I also suggest that you double check to see if your consent to a background check is open ended. That is, can your new institution go back and check again and again? (Will they see the XF, and then the F, and then something else if the whole thing gets dropped, and then, call you in and ask for an explanation?)

Another issue to consider is your reputation. How you talk about this unfortunate event in the future is going to matter to at least one person who will have power over you and/or whose support you will need. Is the narrative you present in your OP the best way to tell the story? Is it possible for you to reflect upon the whole thing and figure out lessons learned? Under no circumstances should you admit to doing something that you didn't and it is important to understand how denials can sound to some. 

Thanks for the response. Before I had been accepted, I had to fill out a central application that asked if I had any disciplinary record at my current school and of course at the time I did not but could possibly have one now. And before enrolling, I would have to submit my final transcripts and they would likely notice an XF/F on the transcript or anything else, thus I would want to go in provide an explanation on the whole thing before that is brought up, but that is a good point. And the narrative would be a bit different than the OP for sure, and would go into more detail about the events that took place. I'm thinking that in the event I would need to talk to the school I am accepted into, I would definitely bring up lessons learned and the misunderstanding that took place during the exam but make sure not to sound like a complete victim. Ultimately my academic career is under my control in how I handle these situations, so that seems like the best way to put it.