Can you get into a IR or MPP Program with no relevant experience?

1Fower

I heard that Masters programs in IR and MPP/MPA programs like to hire after a couple years of relevant experience.

What if you did not get any real relvant experience after getting your BA?

If you got an undergrad degree in political science and a decent gpa/gre, but then did not work in policy or politics, will programs look at that negatively? 

A lot of the jobs that revolve around politics and IR are very location based and are competitive. It is difficult to get those positions if you live in the suburbs and cannot afford to relocate to NYC, DC, etc.

If I spent the last few years working in an unrelated field or waiting tables is it just better to not apply?

Thanks.

It's certainly possible. I can attest to this because I have a humanities BA with little/no experience in policy, and got accepted to Harris MPP last month. If you check the admission websites, schools always say they welcome people with diverse backgrounds. I think it really depends on how you spin your background in your essays. Your undergrad degree in poli sci could be really relevant. If i were you i would work hard on my essays and explain how your past experience is relevant to your future policy studies.

I have a MPP from Georgetown, and while I worked for 6 years before going back, there were quite a few people in my program that were straight out of undergrad. Having a great GPA and GRE scores helps, and several of them were econ majors (the program was pretty quant heavy at the time - now I think there are other pathways too).

I actually joke (but am half serious) that my time waiting tables and bartending is what prepared me the most for the international policy work I do now, because I have to deal with so many egos and difficult personalities. Being able to smile and come up with a solution that makes everyone happy is a skill I learned from those days, as well as being able to strike up a conversation with anyone. And there was one time that we were organizing an event to launch a report I wrote with several heads of state, and the green rooms were not properly set up, so I had to run through the event with trays of water and refreshments for the president of Tunisia. Definitely used my waitressing skills for that. 

When I interview people for jobs at my organization, I always look for people who have some type of real "get your hands dirty" work experience. I've found that people who only have illustrious internships and fellowships make terrible employees, because no one has ever really depended on their work. 

I guess what I'm saying is don't discount your experience, it can really be useful! Best of luck.

I was in the Army before undergrad, and before that I did humanitarian stuff in the Philippines. After the Army I went to school and will graduate next spring. Obviously that's all pre-undergrad and some schools seem very specific on the post-undergrad "professional" work experience. Is that simply something I tell them in my personal statements, or no?

I am a middle school teacher and have been accepted to Fletcher (MALD) and Harris (MPP). I think it is fine if your experience is not in policy as long as you can use it to craft a narrative about yourself.