Newbie with question on interview dates/dress attire

BioJean

So I just got 2 interview invites.  one only has 1 weekend available, the second has 2 dates. My concern is if I choose the later date with the school that has 2 open weekends, does it weaken my possibility of acceptance?

Obviously schools know we are applying to multiple schools... is it ok to call and say the date conflicts with another interview?

Lastly.. What's dress attire for the interview... is a full day at both schools, I am ok wearing a suit, but dont want to overdo it

Thanks all... best wishes!

1. For the most part, the date doesn't matter. Yes it's okay to tell them it conflicts with another interview - the adcom will likely see it as "ah this kid must be quite good, getting invited to other places as well; we've made a right choice". I've actually told one school that neither of their dates worked for me and would like to schedule a Skype interview.

*However* some programs may send out too many acceptances right after the 1st interview date, and then realize they got a better yield than expected and would have to be more conservative with their 2nd batch. So, unless you know there's another program you're waiting on whose interview date conflicts with one of the options, I always went with the earlier date (plus, you can always ask to be moved to the later date should anything come up; can't really do that the other way around.)

2. [This could be field-dependent. I only know about Bio sciences programs.] Some schools will state in their confirmation/agenda email what to wear. If not, you can ask for dress codes directly. Business casual is what I've seen most; some (esp men) wear a full suit. I have a personal principle against dress codes, so I went with the bare minimum of what could be called business casual. Most interviewers won't care at all, unless you're in ugly Christmas sweaters or jeans with holes. *Someone showed up in a Spiderman onesie at an interview for my undergrad school, and sure enough did not get in.*

I actually mentioned the dress situation to one interviewer - about how interviewees at that school seemed to dress a bit more formally than at another school I interviewed for - and the interviewer's response was, "Well look at me [flexing toes in flip flops]."

buisness casual. A jeans may be pushing, it but also no need to come in a full suit.

Last year (female) I just worry a dressy pant, nice shirt and nice cardigan with modest jewelry. I would avoid very bright colors too.