Interview conflict

blacknnerdy

Hello!

I am having a bit of a dilemma and I am at a loss for what to do.

I just got an interview invite yesterday from UCSD's biology program and both interview dates conflict with my other interview dates.  I already emailed them to ask for an alternate date or a Skype interview, but I doubt that is going to work out. I definitely can't go the first session, so I've been considering asking the school I committed to first but overlaps with the second session (UW-Madison Neuroscience) for an alternate date/Skype interview. Would it look bad for me to do so? What would you do in this situation?

Thank you!

This happened to me as well. Try to not change those original interviews you already committed to, I don't think that comes off so well. I would stick with trying to get UCSD to give you an alternate date. Overlaps happen all the time. If you express that you are very excited to visit/interview but already made previous interview commitments they should work with you.

If UCSD won't give you alternate dates then I would go back and try to move other dates as a last resort, especially if UCSD is one of your top choices.

4 hours ago, reprobio_12 said:

This happened to me as well. Try to not change those original interviews you already committed to, I don't think that comes off so well. I would stick with trying to get UCSD to give you an alternate date. Overlaps happen all the time. If you express that you are very excited to visit/interview but already made previous interview commitments they should work with you.

If UCSD won't give you alternate dates then I would go back and try to move other dates as a last resort, especially if UCSD is one of your top choices.

I got an email from UCSD that there aren't any alternate dates, but they may schedule Skype interviews. I like UCSD, but I don't feel comfortable trying to reschedule my interview with UW, so I'm going to hope that the Skype interviews work out!

Thanks for your help! 

Try to prioritize having in-person interviews with your top choice(s). Use alternate dates and Skype interviews for your secondary choices. 

As stated before, interview conflicts happen all the time. Just be honest and flexible. Work with the graduate secretaries to find a time that works for everyone, and do this as soon as possible. It will not look bad on you. Only negative I could foresee is having to Skype interview for one program and it becomes apparent that they were not your top choice.