MA York University (Toronto) References

Hey guys -

I'm in panic mode here... I'm planning on applying to the MA Political Science program at York University, but one thing I'm confused about is whether the references need to be physically mailed, or whether the process uses an online portal instead (where references can directly type and submit the letter online.) I unfortunately hadn't realized that there's a general application, in which you have to wait 4 ~ 7 days to get your login info to the application portal. On top of how the office is off on holiday until January 6th, I'm worried about missing the deadline. As I'm currently waiting for the MyFile login info, I'm wondering if anyone who has gone through the process before knows if I need to submit documents via mail (as I currently do not have an account yet!) so that I can make plans for expedited mail/etc if this is the case.

Thanks so much!

Most often the application requires your references to submit their references online, but this may depend on your department. As for myfile, it does take a long time to receive the email. Last year I was tired of waiting for the email and I eventually ended up calling the graduate department and they gave me my login information because I never received the email. They said sometimes we don't even get the email for it! Also if you have applied to York in the past, such as in your Bachelors and have mentioned it in your application, it uses the same student number so you can try that as well. 

I recommend calling the department of graduate studies if they are still open and request for your login information, if you haven't received it already. 

Good luck! 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there!

Probably a bit late to be helpful but I’ll reply anyway. I applied to the same program. I was confused too because there was definitely a line on the website that said for an MA in Polisci, recommendation letters had to be mailed in. But turns out that once I was sent the email to complete my application, I had to put in my professor’s emails and the request for a letter was subsequently emailed out to them for electronic submission (one of my profs/references told me so). So it looks like they’re doing it entirely that way. 

@mrsweasley Thank you so much for the information! In the end, all of my applications required only an electronic submission, and also had different deadlines (extended ones?) for my professors. Glad to hear that somebody else is going through the same process. 

@Maya584 Thank you so much for your advice, because it really helped my situation out. I decided to just call the office directly, and they were able to get my account set up asap! You definitely were correct and I was even able to pass your advice on to some of my other friends who were also waiting for the MyFile account to set up. 

Edited by sulkytofu