Sending Updated CV to Grad School Admission??

Meliska_Neuro

Question

Hi, 

When I submitted my application materials to graduate schools in late November I didn't have any publications. However, before the New Year my colleagues and I are going to submit a paper. Should I email/call the admission departments of the schools I haven't heard back yet to ask if they will accept an updated CV? The first CV I sent did not mention the paper at all. 

Obviously, a paper submission will make my application stronger, but I worry that asking admissions to accept an update will be frowned upon. Plus, half of them already sent out their interview invites. 

Thank you in advance for your input!

p.s. Happy Holidays!

2 answers to this question

I'd skip it.

I don't include submitted work on my CV at all. I only add things once they've been accepted. People have lots of different feelings about this, but my personal sense is that putting in prep/submitted stuff feels like a stretch and doesn't represent a meaningful accomplishment. The mark of achievement is peer reviewers saying the article should be published.

Also, if I was going to send an updated CV, I would just send it. I wouldn't waste their time with a call/email first. I'd just send it with a short/direct/polite note, along the lines of "If it's possible to add my updated CV to my file, I'd appreciate it." 

I wouldn’t. Admin offices are slammed right now and they most likely won’t respond to your request or get to re-submitting the latest version in your packet in time for departmental reviews. 

If you end up receiving interview invites, you are allowed to bring an updated copy of your CV, and can talk about the paper then with your potential PIs.