anyone familiar with the inner workings of Duke GPR PhD admissions?

NTNerd

I am panicking because one of my letter writers still has not submitted my rec, and the deadline was 12/20. I have been sending spaced out reminders from a month before the deadline, and then every few days from a week before the deadline until now. Will this harm my prospects? My chances weren't great to begin with.

Since they get ~150 applications, there is no way they can get through them all in a week, right? Purely because of sheer numbers they must not start reviewing a good portion of the applications until beginning of January? I have no idea how the application review process works, so I'd appreciate insight if anyone has any. Also, should I email someone to explain and beg for mercy? I am applying for NT, so does that mean I should email Dr. Goodacre, NT convener? Or should I email Dr. Chapman (HB/OT), who is listed as the overall program convener? There's probably a good chance neither of them would see my email anyway...

Any insights into the Duke GPR process would be appreciated. I really hope they have some leniency with LORs being late....and that perhaps this won't affect me because of how long it takes them to get through all the apps. 

I know late applicants aren’t welcomed but most schools I’ve encountered will take a late letter of recommendation. That said, I don’t know if Duke does!

I’d suggest emailing Carol Rush for this kind of question. She’s listed as the GDR Program Office Coordinator or something like that. They’re generally the first point of contact for admissions questions.

I *think* Duke will accept a late LoR - I had an issue with the earlier ThD app (recommender didn't get the link) and when I called the Monday following they seemed pretty relaxed about it (ymmv).

The issue is going to be much more getting the LoR in before the review begins in earnest, which I can only assume will be shortly after the new year. Good luck!

I'm in the GPR. Email Carol and just ask about your late letter. I have no idea if they will accept it, but my guess is they will. I think the way it works is, as a first round, the faculty associated with each track receive the applications associated with their track. They make their picks, meet, and then department politics takes over: e.g. one track got two people last year so only one this year, and so on. NT has been notoriously bloated in the GPR and the track's 'special treatment' is fully recognized. They also probably get more applications than any other track (I've never checked the stats on this). 

Thank you so much, @kenshiro and @sacklunch!

Do you guys know whether for first round reviews (by the faculty of your track) your app does not get looked at until it's complete? Or if faculty will start reviewing your app if you are missing an LOR? If the NT faculty are already looking at their apps and don't look at those missing letters, then this is really hurting me and my app might get thrown out...

Edited by NTGal

I certainly hope faculty are not looking at apps over the holidays...that while applicants are spending Christmas agonizing over apps, they are enjoying time with family like normal people ?

welp, i am assuredly royally screwed. when i texted the last reminder on Monday she said she'd do it that day. but she forgot. and i texted her today asking if she could do it this weekend since she is leaving the country Monday, but she didn't reply. so i can only assume that she didn't respond because she doesn't plan to do it. what's ridiculous is that all she has to do is click a link and upload, it takes at most 1 minute...i don't get it. i mean, it would be a different story if she still needed to write it, as that would take a lot of time. ?

I am assuming that adcoms do not consider applications that are missing an LOR? 

That's the official line, yes, that incomplete applications are not considered. What is going on with this LoR? Presumably it was written and submitted for your other programs?

she submitted it this morning!!! in her defense, she is in a really crazy and busy season...but the fact that the letter was done and submitting to a program takes like a minute  makes the drag over the past few weeks seem kind of ridiculous.

well, now my chances at Duke have skyrocketed from 0% to 1% ??