Accepting and not joining.

walkersanders

Question

Hi,
I recently got an admit from UofT for the MScAC program. But the deadline for accepting in one month, ie. till January in this case. But I have applied to 12 more programs and even though this program is really good I have some others that I rate definitely higher than this one. I was not expecting the results to come till say February and the decision date then would be till March. But this is now a conundrum for me. Can someone suggest a way out? What would be the consequences of accepting and not joining in case I prefer to go for another program?  

Edited by walkersanders

1 answer to this question

I think you should be honest with the program and tell them you are waiting on other offers. Politely ask if you could get an extension on your deadline. 

I would strongly urge you not to accept an offer if you know that you will not go in the first chance you get. That offer could go to someone else. Also, the whole point on making the offer so early is precisely that, that you either commit or not to them. Not fun, I know.