Need help picking grad schools to apply to in Canada

Opti

Question

I'm an international undergraduate student from a 3rd world country who's applying for a MSc in Computer Science, I'm currently in my senior year, with a 3.0 gpa.

IELTS overall band 8, with 9 in listening and 8 in writing.

No internships unfortunately.

Very strong recommendation letters from my professors.

Decent statement of purpose reviewed by many people.

Oh, and, my BSc graduation project is research, and sort of an advanced level for undergrad, and it's basically the same topic I want to do my MSc in, so, it counts as previous experience.

I really want to get in one, as I want to make up for the bad GPA, publish some good research, and basically raise the bar on myself to finally get a PhD in one of the top schools in the world.

I want to study in Canada. I already applied to UBC, and going to apply to SFU and Alberta next. The reason I'm asking because it's like $100 per application, plus a lot of effort and time to contact supervisors and complete applications. 

What schools should I apply for next? Any thoughts and/or suggestions?

5 answers to this question

Well based on your choices of Universities I'm certain that you are trying for ranked universities. Well I could possibly say that you are in the same position as I am. I'm considering applying for MS in Statistics for the Fall Term 2020.

These are the universities I have applied for UBC/ McGill/ Victoria/ Alberta/ Manitoba.

Reasons for applying to the above universities -  Tuition cost + cost of living are pretty decent compared to the rest of the universities and these universities are ranked.

In addition to those I would also suggest considering applying to Saskatchewan and if you want to be on the safe side you could also possibly apply to Newfoundland because I am not quite sure how far you can get by with your GPA since the above schools required at least 3.3, so I recommend that you contact supervisors since you've mentioned your research is standard, get in touch with them and then move further.

Moreover I'd also like to mention that if you do find a potential supervisor at any of the universities you are interested I suggest you take a chance and apply to it regardless of the application fee. Because as far as I know without applying to a university you never know if you stand a chance or not unless you have previously assured that a supervisor is willing to accept you so go for it!!! 

P.S. Don't worry you'll stand a chance!!! Good luck... 

On 1/8/2020 at 5:47 PM, Opti said:

To rephrase my question, pick 3-5 schools that would be a good match for me?

You could try Ottawa /  Calgary / Carleton / Waterloo / Manitoba

To be on the safe side I recommend you apply to Saskatchewan  / Memorial University of Newfoundland

Best of Luck!

P.S. also since you are still in your senior year I am pretty sure you got the chance to increase your GPA at least up to 3.30!!! Go for it...

Edited by the97kid

On 1/14/2020 at 8:00 PM, the97kid said:

P.S. also since you are still in your senior year I am pretty sure you got the chance to increase your GPA at least up to 3.30!!! Go for it...

I agree. I think you should really consider boosting your GPA before finishing your degree.