2020 Fall Committee on Social Thought at Chicago

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2020 at 1:29 AM, santudius fusansus said:

Anyone has applied to this program? Any news to share!

Hello! I have applied to this program, but sadly have no news to share. If it's anything like the Humanities Division, I imagine we won't hear anything until at least February...

8 hours ago, Ivy0327 said:

I also applied for CST, my dream program. They normally send admission in early to mid Feb.

Also, I applied for Cinema and Media Studies at the Humanities Division. Anyone know if they send out all admissions at once or in different waves?

@Ivy0327 I'm not sure about Cinema and Media Studies, but I've applied to two other Humanities Division programs, as well. My understanding is that they'll have results out around the same time -- early to mid February.

16 minutes ago, sirens + warnings said:

@Ivy0327 I'm not sure about Cinema and Media Studies, but I've applied to two other Humanities Division programs, as well. My understanding is that they'll have results out around the same time -- early to mid February.

Yeah, I guess so based on the posted results in the past years. However, I emailed the CMS department yesterday and got the reply: "While some applicants to Humanities Division programs have been contacted and received decisions, not all decisions have been finalized." Don't know how to decipher this message. Maybe good news. Maybe they are sorting out waitlist and rejections? 

@Ivy0327 I would think it depends on the department...I doubt all the committees in the Division start and end their reviews at the exact same time. Hang in there! January will be over in a matter of hours (long though they may feel) and February is sure to bring us closure.

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, alkiviades said:

Emailed the department and the reply was, "Decision letters will be going out at the end of this month."   It seems like in years past acceptances were notified a couple weeks before rejections?

That could be! Although, my bet is that the admissions committee probably hasn't even met yet ?

On 2/17/2020 at 6:06 AM, santudius fusansus said:

Agreed, it should be Feb 14..Anyone has news?

No. Except for a “glitch” in the Social Sciences application portal whereby their usual request for transcripts from those admitted appeared for everyone, regardless of admission...

They have fixed the error, now. 

5 hours ago, santudius fusansus said:

it seems that not many people applied and judging from the past records even less people post the acceptances....if they have sent out the acceptances already, it is hard to know, except someone’s POI had some info though.

https://provost.uchicago.edu/sites/default/files/ProgramStatisticsSSDSocialThought.pdf

5 hours ago, diodotus said:

Wow, what fascinating and in some cases, disturbing, statistics.  In particular, the gender gap as well as the real lack of diversity among domestic students.   I'm having trouble understanding how that gender ratio (basically consistently 1/3 female, 2/3 male) is in any way justifiable.  

Also, the mean time to completion! 

11 hours ago, santudius fusansus said:

it seems that not many people applied and judging from the past records even less people post the acceptances....if they have sent out the acceptances already, it is hard to know, except someone’s POI had some info though.

I got the impression from the email that they have not sent the decision on Tuesday but are going to this week, and the whole process will be done by mid March.

Although I applied for a joint degree—which was reflected in my portal—now my portal only reads "PhD, Social Thought," instead of "PhD, Social Thought and ___________."

The same is true of my applications in prior years—none of my applications to Division of Social Sciences are listed as joint degrees.

This changed within the last hour.

I don't know whether this means anything.