Different SOP for MA and PhD @ Same School?

Hey Grad Cafe Community, 

Just a quick question. If I am planning on applying to both the MA and PhD program at a school (I am fairly certain that they consider you for the MA if you are not identified as a candidate for the PhD anyways) but have to submit 2 separate applications, should I submit two different SOPs for the programs or would the same one suffice for both? I am guessing that even with my SOP for the PhD program, if they thought I was more prepared for the MA program the same SOP would have sufficed for them to make that decision?

Your quick reply is appreciated! Thank you! 

Best, 

-Confused

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure how it works with a Sociology program, or with the program you are applying to in general, yet it is typical for a Master's program to admit more students than a Ph.D. program. If you haven't already, before you submit two separate applications it would be wise to check with this program and be sure that a Ph.D. application may also be considered for the MA program.  If so, why send two separate applications?  

At any rate, if you do submit two separate applications you certainly should write two, unique, SOPs.