CSUN and CSULB MFT Masters in counseling

dbrick

Hi everyone,

I applied to both CSUN and CSULB MFT programs. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of when they usually email applicants for interviews or rejections??

For CSUN to app was due Jan 3rd and Long Beach it was due Jan 15

Also if anyone has interviewed in previous years any advice would be appreciated

I just wanted to say hello to another MFTer! I'm a MFT masters student right now (but I didn't apply to either of those, so I don't know their dates) and am applying to PhD programs this cycle. There's not a lot of us on here, so I just wanted to give a shout out ?

Hi @PsyZei! I have seen your forums on your PhD journey when searching for any MFT info on here! I see how dedicated you are to academia and I am wishing you best of luck!

Since you have more experience than us, could you please share your story with Masters application/stats/any advice you could give us? Thank you :) 

1 hour ago, hopefulmft said:

Hi @PsyZei! I have seen your forums on your PhD journey when searching for any MFT info on here! I see how dedicated you are to academia and I am wishing you best of luck!

Since you have more experience than us, could you please share your story with Masters application/stats/any advice you could give us? Thank you :) 

I don't know if my experience would be super helpful for you. To be totally honest, you probably have more than or as much experience with academic expectations as I do. I'm a very nontraditional student and I went through undergrad in just over two years and chose to attend a 2 year master program. So this month actually marks my 4th year in college (I started undergrad in January 2016).

I've mostly just let my passion guide me. My stats looked good on paper (4.0 GPA, 165/162/4.5 GRE), but being nontraditional meant that I didn't graduate the best undergrad school or have the same opportunities for research and etc.. that more traditional students did (my spouse was gone for most of the first 12 mos I was in undergrad, I was working, and I have children). My choice in masters program had a lot to do with wanting to fill in gaps in my resume and narrow in on my research/practice focus (get research experience, get more experience with population of focus, get related training/credentials).

I had things a little easier, I think, than some in that my interview with my current master program (UCM) also was not very stressful. I already had an acceptance to a psychology (research track) master program (I was a psychology undergrad)- so I knew I was going somewhere. I had also applied to some PhD programs, but was rejected or wait-listed for them (which was not surprising with only two years of being in college at that time, even if my number stats were good). That said, when I was in the faculty interview one of the first things I said (honestly) was that if I was accepted to their program I would be attending. I made no bones and was very up front/open about that fact that even though I was a psychology undergrad student, I felt a real connection with systemic therapy and I really hoped to get to explore that by attending their program as a grad student. So again, something that has consistently steered me well is letting my passion for my career path guide me.

If a timeline helps at all, I interviewed in-person on March 2nd of 2018 and got the acceptance email on March 6th of 2018.

On 1/21/2020 at 2:51 PM, hopefulmft said:

Just received an email form Csun stating they have received my online application and that all of the applications are currently under a review.

Woohoo! Wishing you the best of luck in getting an interview!

34 minutes ago, dbrick said:

@hopefulmftI got that email about the applications being under review too!! I'm so nervous though I wonder when they will send emails ahhhh

Good luck! The waiting is just killer about this whole process, isn't it?

8 minutes ago, dbrick said:

Thank you good luck to you too! and yes!! it is time likes these when I actually wish time can go fast! @PsyZei

I can't seem to figure out how to quote in another person's message 0_o

press the blue Quote word under the person's post, then scroll down (if it doesn't auto-scroll you) to the comment box at the bottom of the screen.

On 1/22/2020 at 9:12 PM, PsyZei said:

press the blue Quote word under the person's post, then scroll down (if it doesn't auto-scroll you) to the comment box at the bottom of the screen.

AHHH got it thank you! I kept pressing the button next to the word "quote" but it alone wasn't doing anything lol 

On 1/22/2020 at 9:12 PM, hopefulmft said:

@dbrick and @PsyZei yes, now is the hardest time... And I got sick with flu, so instead of being busy working I have too much time on my hands and am updating the email page every 5 seconds ?

I have been obsessively looking over my statement of purpose and regret not applying to more schools 

Awww!! I have been busy with work so I hadn't checked my email for a few days but honestly I hate checking it and not seeing anything, especially when I check it after a few days. I feel like I am not going to get anything 

As far as the schools, I mean I hope you get into the program! but for me if i don't get it I may have to apply to private schools that have a higher acceptance rate ? i really want to start my education so I don't want to have to wait until the next application period

On 1/24/2020 at 11:48 PM, dbrick said:

Awww!! I have been busy with work so I hadn't checked my email for a few days but honestly I hate checking it and not seeing anything, especially when I check it after a few days. I feel like I am not going to get anything 

As far as the schools, I mean I hope you get into the program! but for me if i don't get it I may have to apply to private schools that have a higher acceptance rate ? i really want to start my education so I don't want to have to wait until the next application period

I feel you! I am seriously considering doing the same now... Let's hope we both get accepted and won't need to pay delirious amounts of money for our education!

Congrats on the interviews!  I'm not an MFT applicant but I am an MSW applicant at CSUN and I'm hoping that the interviews invites will be sent out soon for that program.  Hopeful to see yall around campus :)

9 hours ago, hopefulmft said:

I just checked my regular email and there it is- an interview invitation! I hope everybody hears back soon as well! 

Congratulations!! I didn't get anything:/ pretty sure that means I will get a rejection letter soon- I just wish they sent rejections and invited at the same time so I wouldn't have to sit here all anxious

If you don't mind me asking what day is the interview? also when you say your regular email you mean the csun one correct? 

Edited by dbrick

26 minutes ago, dbrick said:

Congratulations!! I didn't get anything:/ pretty sure that means I will get a rejection letter soon- I just wish they sent rejections and invited at the same time so I wouldn't have to sit here all anxious

If you don't mind me asking what day is the interview? also when you say your regular email you mean the csun one correct? 

Hi @dbrick! Don’t give up: I’ve read the CSUN forums where they send a second wave on invitations later on during the process! 
My interview was scheduled for Feb 20th, but there was an option to select a suitable date and time slot. No, it was on my regular email (the one I used my application). I didn’t receive an email on the CSUN account. 

I really hope you get an email as well! 

23 minutes ago, hopefulmft said:

Hi @dbrick! Don’t give up: I’ve read the CSUN forums where they send a second wave on invitations later on during the process! 
My interview was scheduled for Feb 20th, but there was an option to select a suitable date and time slot. No, it was on my regular email (the one I used my application). I didn’t receive an email on the CSUN account. 

I really hope you get an email as well! 

Ahh thanks for the response and thank you for being supportive!  I honestly didn't find any posts from anyone talking about a second waive of interviews:/ I'm really bummed out though cause I just have that gut feeling that I am rejected. 

I wish you the absolute best on your interview by the way!!!

I am wondering, when did you submit your the last of your application? I ended up submitting mind Jan 2nd in person, kinda worried now that it reflects poorly. 

Also sorry if you posted this somewhere before but I couldn't find it, do you have any experience working in the mental health field? 

9 hours ago, dbrick said:

Ahh thanks for the response and thank you for being supportive!  I honestly didn't find any posts from anyone talking about a second waive of interviews:/ I'm really bummed out though cause I just have that gut feeling that I am rejected. 

I wish you the absolute best on your interview by the way!!!

I am wondering, when did you submit your the last of your application? I ended up submitting mind Jan 2nd in person, kinda worried now that it reflects poorly. 

Also sorry if you posted this somewhere before but I couldn't find it, do you have any experience working in the mental health field? 

Hello! I turned in my application early since I’ve been rejected from a Masters 2 years ago and wanted to get it done differently this time! However, as far as I know, it doesn’t effect anything! They start reviewing applications together at the same time, so I wouldn’t be too nervous about it! 

Yes, I do have some experience in mental health field. I worked as a behavioral therapist with kids with special needs for a year, worked as a crisis counselor for a year, and am currently working with kids with special needs again. I also have been involved in research in psychology for a year.I hope this helps! 

Thank you so much for your kind wishes!