Craigslist without a US phone number

Hi there,

I'm a French student who is starting the PhD program in philosophy at Cornell in the fall. I just came across a problem and I was wondering if someone had a solution. I wanted to post an ad on craigslist in order to find a room in Ithaca, but it turns out there is some kind of phone authentication involved, which requires a US phone number, something I don't have for obvious reasons. Does anyone know how to activate one's account when one's doesn't have a US phone number?

Hi there,

I'm a French student who is starting the PhD program in philosophy at Cornell in the fall. I just came across a problem and I was wondering if someone had a solution. I wanted to post an ad on craigslist in order to find a room in Ithaca, but it turns out there is some kind of phone authentication involved, which requires a US phone number, something I don't have for obvious reasons. Does anyone know how to activate one's account when one's doesn't have a US phone number?

maybe your supervisor could lend their #?

or the department?

or the International students office?

Maybe you can get a prepaid phone and use that as a temp solution.

Is it possible to use Skype and set up a US phone number that way? I don't really use Skype, so I don't really know.

Edited by joro

• 2 weeks later...

I realize you have probably taken care of your problem, but I was wondering why a U.S. phone number is required to make an international post on Craigslist. I am only required to confirm my post through an email address (from within the U.S.). Also, I hope you enjoy living in Ithaca! I love visiting my brother there, especially during the summer.