Non-Clinical Interview Attire

samstudent

I was just wondering what past interviewees had worn to interview/ recruiting weekends, or if anyone had insights into appropriate dress. I know there's a thread on this topic, but it seems mostly populated by clinical folks. Was wondering if there was any difference for those in cognitive, behavioral, etc.

I've worked closely with folks who have previously interviewed for MA Experimental Psych and MA and/or MEd Counselling (i.e., I do not have direct experience, but consulted with these individuals for my own interviews in clinical). The common observation is for interview days, business casual at a minimum and depending on comfort levels, tie and a smart jacket/blazer. Pant suits are an option for any gender, and as long as it doesn't look like you're going to prom right after the interview, you will look fine.

For recruiting events/socials, depending on your audience, business casual is probably a safe bet. Dress down a bit if you're doing events with only grad students. A business-casual interview option that works in interview/social environments are sweater vests and dress pants/skirt. 

I'm developmental/social, not clinical, but I'm still wearing slacks and a jacket. Now, I won't be going full formal black, my pants are a pink/gray pattern, with a pink top and black jacket.  A little personality is ok! Videos and pics I've seen of prio year interviews and visits all show folx wearing at least business casual, and mostly professional looking wear.  I'd say, don't go out and buy a fancy new suit if you don't want to, but definitely no jeans or casual shirts. 

I will probably wear a suit but with a turtleneck or something to be less formal. These events are not clinical and more casual meaning do not go full blown dress up thinking it’s like a job interview. Research PhDs like these are very informal. Just make sure your not wearing street wear.