Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

1 Follower

About SocDevMum

  • Rank
    Double Shot
  • Birthday September 28

Profile Information

  • Pronouns
  • Interests
    sexual violence, feminist theory, gender conformity/traditional gender roles
  • Application Season
    Already Attending
  • Program
    Social/Developmental Psychology

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Late to the party here, but uhm... I'm a 43 year old PhD student And my PI was thrilled to take on a mature student who "knew what they wanted and what drove them". She views my life experience and age as a huge bonus, and quite frankly, now that I am a year in, so do I. My younger cohort members often struggle with some skills and concepts, not because they aren't each brilliant in their own way, but because they just don't have the real-world experience to really get some things. So, yeah, tell whoever that was to stuff it. They clearly have no idea what they are talking about. Go
  2. Coaching would certainly be an option, but what I meant was consulting with business owners or managers to make changes, design trainings or policies, conduct trainings maybe, to help the company increase productivity and profits. Designing a more productive office atmosphere, for instance, designing and conducting cultural competency trainings for employees, or training front end workers on things like selling skills, service skills... things like that
  3. I am in the U.S. so I don't know what the rules are in the UK or EU. Here, a clinical psych with a PhD or PsyD can do testing and diagnosis, but a Masters level psychology degree cannot. Also, I/O is often HR type jobs, but also consulting work, anything that interacts in the business world to maximize productivity, essentially. If you want to work in a clinical type setting, an I/O degree would be a waste of time, IMO An MSW here in the US allows you to work as a social worker/case worker for the state, in a hospital or a private practice. MSW also often work in nursing homes, hosp
  4. If you don't want to be in a clinic, and you don't want to teach and do research, may I suggest Industrial-Organizational (I/O) programs? A Masters in I/O psych or Organizational Behavior is a highly desirable degree in the business and consulting worlds, and among the best paid of the psych careers at the Masters level. Alternatively, within the clinical world but without the diagnostic capabilities of a Clinical PhD, a Masters in counseling could lead to a license to be a therapist or rehabilitation specialist; an MFT is for Marriage and Family therapy; or an MSW (social work) is psych
  5. Not the greatest, unfortunately. Offered applicants had until April 15 to make their decisions, so waitlisted candidates should have heard shortly after that if they were going to get an offer. Not to say it's impossible, I've seen offers come through as late as May, but not likely, I'm sorry to say. I hope you get word soon, either way, so you can make decisions about the next cycle.
  6. Can you get a job or volunteer position as an RA or lab manager in a psychology lab, that would allow you to participate in some research and get some experience presenting? Without some significant research experiences, anything clinical or neuropsych is going to be a difficult stretch to get into. Your best bet beyond a job in the lab would be to apply to a Masters program that requires a thesis; this would provide you with the research experiences you need prior to applying to a PhD or PsyD program. Many smaller psych masters programs are much less demanding of research experience, t
  7. Usually recommended by department means recommended for admission. However, I don't think this is a guarantee of anything, if funding isn't there, for example. I would say if you don't hear anything by the end of the week you could email and ask. The April 15 cut off is tomorrow, so if they are going to be making additional offers this is the time. Good luck!
  8. Developmental programs are lower than clinical, apparently. My stipend is in the low 20s, and I'm told it's generous for a developmental program - and I live in a VERY high COL part of the United States. I know some other programs in the MidWest and South struggle to hit 20.
  9. Agreeing with @Rerunabove - have you considered asking about the option of deferring for a year? I don't know the statistics on it, if programs are really open to that or not for a first-year, but maybe if you explain your health circumstances, an exception could be made. Also, I agree that if you've gotten in once, you can get in again - surely you would spend the time over the next year making improvements to your application, right? So your chances certainly at least won't go down if you decide to pass this season. That said, have you looked into the health insurance offered by your n
  10. Are you not writing a Masters thesis? These are usually first-author pubs or posters, and really cement your research abilities.
  11. You have been a busy bee! As you noted, Clinical programs are notoriously competitive. Continue to gain direct research experience the rest of this year, for sure. However, I would challenge you to start working on your personal statements and such now. You are a non-traditional student, in more ways than age. Since your psychology research experience is going to be limited compared to other applicants coming from undergrad or Masters programs, you need to make that work to your full advantage with an amazing essay that points out your life experiences as a benefit and not a hindrance
  12. In your field would be great. In your particular scope of interest would be *chef's kiss* But when push comes to shove, any research is better than none. I would say, try to get in to a clinical/counseling lab if possible, either in an academic institution or at a med school affiliated with a university. Research skills are research skills - what you learn in any one lab can be easily translated to another.
  13. That depends - is Behavior Analysis (or whatever) your long term goal for your PhD as well? If you eventually want to do counseling and research, you may be better served looking at Clinical masters or professional counseling masters programs. If you want to study ABA and related topics like autism, than an ABA could benefit you more. If you really love research, and client work will be a side job, you might consider an Experimental program that has strong clinical influences. Tailor your masters to boost your PhD - if you are going to apply to research focused Clinical Science PhD programs,
  14. Do you not have two other possible academic LOR writers? If you are applying to clinical research PhD programs, this is a huge miss to not have academic researchers writing your LORs. Beyond research, grad school committees are looking for someone who has proven they can be successful academically as well. Your Masters GPA of 3.5 is borderline for many clinical psych programs, and it may have hurt you to be lacking strong academic voices that could stand in support of your academic abilities. Maybe revisit this for the next application season. Do you not have any conference presentations
  15. Agreed - you are under no obligation to make a final decision before April 15. That said - as soon as you make a decision, let them both know, don't just sit on it. There's likely a poor soul sitting on a waitlist somewhere who will happily take the spot you reject, so be merciful to your fellow applicant and communicate your decision as soon as you make it!
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.