Writing Sample

carolinaji

Hi, so the masters program I am applying for is requiring a writing sample of at least 2,500 words. Can I use something that I wrote for lab during my undergrad? or does this have to be something I write for them now? It just says "The writing sample should be a recent sole-authored work of at least 2,500 words (uploaded online)." It doesnt have a topic or anything. this is for a MA in criminology, law and society. 

Thanks! 

13 minutes ago, happycola23 said:

A few of my PhD applications required a writing sample and I sent something from my undergrad lab!

Thank you so much!! I am looking at my lab work, and one of them is 2,088 words and the minimum for my application is 2,500. Should I go in and add content or leave it as is? 

2 minutes ago, happycola23 said:

That's a good question. Mine was over the minimum word count, so I'd defer to your adviser on this one (or any other Grad Cafe member who can shed light on this)! 

Thank you!! I went back last night and put in some more content to the lab paper to make it be at least the minimum word count cause I am afraid they won't even look at it if it is any less. Fingers crossed!! 

For the programs that asked for a writing sample for both masters and PhD, I sent a term paper over my research interest. I figured that showed what my research interests were, how I wrote (academically talked about) them, and showed that I could at least write lit reviews for publications.