sos

cg27

Question

hi all! I have a question about a school I am currently interested in. I have a professor advocating for my admission, obviously it is not guaranteed but what's the likelihood of being accepted?

also, for some reason, i am freaking out that i may have reported the incorrect gpa. if a school is said that they will consider the last 90 units should i have reported that gpa or do they calculate it?

3 answers to this question

Regarding your first question, it really depends on the school and the program. Some schools (for e.g. School of Information at UC Berkeley)  have a centralized process where an admission committee chooses a list of candidates and then the faculties get to choose between them.
On the other extreme, there are schools where faculty members have absolute power, and a recommendation from a faculty almost means that you will be selected. The admission committee mostly does administrative work, like verifying that you satisfy the requirements, etc. 
Most schools however will be somewhere in between, and also, different faculty members have different influence over the committee (depending upon their official role and their relation with other members). 

Regarding the incorrect GPA, like Wang suggested, I think you should reach out to them explaining the mistake. They are probably not going to accept/reject you based on this, but its always good to be on the safer side and let them know in advance. 

The importance of a recommendation from a single professor depends on how candidates are selected. For programs that don't have interview weekends, a professor recommendation is usually more important (because it's more likely that you would work with them). For programs that do have interview weekends, it's generally the case that a committee decides who goes to the interviews because you're not initially deciding what lab to work in. However, the professor could be on the committee. There's always exceptions to these generalities, though.

Schools are pretty unlikely to calculate GPA on their own because of the sheer amount of time involved (unless you had to individually enter classes). They might glance at grades in certain classes, but they probably just look at either the self-reported GPA or whatever is reported on the transcript (probably more so the latter). If they are only look at the last 90 units, it probably means they'll overlook various issues during your freshman year (Ws, Cs, Fs, etc) rather than recalculate the GPA without those credits.