SocioCultural Anthro 2021 Fall Applications: How to Plan the Application Year?

AbbyHayes

Hi everyone. I am a newcomer at Gradcafe and this forum is very, very helpful. I want to pose questions here about the planning of the application year. I shall only be applying to

socio-anthro departments or to area studies departments for Fall 2021 session.  I am an international applicant.  Some of my questions are;

1. Exactly WHEN should we email our POI's? Most have advised me to email between July and November. While others have said that mail at any time of the year.  What is a good time to write to them? 

2. HOW MUCH detail should one give in emailing POI's? My proposal is just a one line in my head at the moment and I have no idea how it will shape up. I'm doubtful about the different ways in which I would take this research proposal forward given that deadlines are 10 months away. 

3. HOW SHOULD I PLAN THE WHOLE YEAR?: I was hoping for some advice regarding the different things one MUST do in an application year. For instance, mailing POI's, taking the GRE TOEFL, working on the writing sample etc. but are there other things one should be doing? I have only recently decided to apply to the US and have very little knowledge of the process. 

I have a lot of free time and now sure how to best put it to the application year.  

It would be great to receive responses from you all. 

Thanks a lot!

Happy Week to everyone! :D