Applied Linguistics

ammarahasan

Can anyone please help me as I don't know much about foreign Universities admission procedure. Do we need to make a proper research proposal or just a topic. For example i am interested in curriculum studies and language teacher identity , both are different research areas , so i ll just tell my potential supervisor my area of interest or a proposal. 

Moreover I sent email email to 3,4 professor all of them said that they are not accepting students , then how ll i find my potential supervisor ? ?

• 4 weeks later...

For US programs it's usually a statement of purpose that outlines research interests and faculty you might want to work with in the program, but not a formal research proposal. I guess it might be the same for Canada? The program should have instructions on its website with a prompt for the SoP. You could always reach out to the program or the graduate school more generally to ask what the specific requirements are if it's not clear. At all the PhD programs I applied to, I mentioned faculty whose research I felt aligned with my interests and in most cases I spoke with those faculty via Skype. But most of those programs don't ask applicants to formally choose an advisor until later, after a year or more in the program. Not sure if UBC is different, though.

With your research interests, you might also want to look at U of Arizona SLAT program. I think Hayriye Kayi-Aydar might interest you for language teacher identity and there's lots of curriculum development work happening there too. Good luck!

20 hours ago, Cats&Coffee said:

For US programs it's usually a statement of purpose that outlines research interests and faculty you might want to work with in the program, but not a formal research proposal. I guess it might be the same for Canada? The program should have instructions on its website with a prompt for the SoP. You could always reach out to the program or the graduate school more generally to ask what the specific requirements are if it's not clear. At all the PhD programs I applied to, I mentioned faculty whose research I felt aligned with my interests and in most cases I spoke with those faculty via Skype. But most of those programs don't ask applicants to formally choose an advisor until later, after a year or more in the program. Not sure if UBC is different, though.

With your research interests, you might also want to look at U of Arizona SLAT program. I think Hayriye Kayi-Aydar might interest you for language teacher identity and there's lots of curriculum development work happening there too. Good luck!

Thanks alot for your detailed reply . Program at ubc doesn't require to contact a supervisor , moreover their statement of intent is limited to 500 words only .

12 hours ago, ammarahasan said:

Thanks alot for your detailed reply . Program at ubc doesn't require to contact a supervisor , moreover their statement of intent is limited to 500 words only .

In that case definitely don't give them an entire proposal then! Just stick to exactly what they're asking for on the website. :)