Going to the same institution for undergrad and grad

Amy_Lan

Question

Hi everyone,

I’m currently finishing up my undergrad degree in Biochemistry and planning on a PhD in pharmaceutical sciences starting this fall. I’m already accepted into my home institution, and we’re into go there would continue working with the same PI, in the same place as I have for the past year and a half or so. Obviously we have a good relationship and I know he values my work, which is wonderful. However, I’ve heard from many that it’s sort of frowned upon to go to the same institution for grad and undergrad, especially in the sciences and especially if you’re wanting to go into academia. Any thoughts on this, or does anyone know if this is true?

3 answers to this question

Apparently, going to the same institution can mean that you're good only in the eyes of local proffessors, but not objectively good. Like the favourite student of a teacher who gets straight As and then faced with a national standardised test - fails. Of course, it might be true in some cases, in other not. 

Is it a good school and good program? If yes, people would be quick to understand why you stayed (like ivy undergrads who stay on for grad work). 

That being said, you should not spend your entire career at one institution. If you stay, look for postdoc and faculty positions elsewhere.

I have benefited from changing schools, gaining exposure to different academic cultures, and different opinions on major issues in my field. However, I will likely be staying at the same school for my PhD as my MS.

I went to UCLA for undergrad and going back to the school for phD in engineering after working.  I've heard of this point being said here and there and I can understand why it would be beneficial to go to another institution, but for me this school was pretty much my top choice and I had such a productive and engaging time during my undergrad that I could not give up the admission.