Scholarships for Study in UK

fauna876

• 3 weeks later...

This is not at all meant in an unkind way but the United Kingdom of England, Wales, Northern Ireland, and Scotland is not welcoming international scholars right now, particularly in the hard humanities. The Fulbright was a tiny tiny stream of funding compared to Erasmus, MSCA, and DAAD, now all lost to Brexit. The UCU is on a staggered strike this week, students, faculty, and contingents. Glasgow is a rubbish city, overpriced and unfriendly with a disproportionate rate of violence. If you are studying a specifically Scottish subject, think about Edinburgh which is the art history/architecture powerhouse, but there will not be a funding stream for an MA program. The British system MA is research-only and very isolating for international students, in addition to being vastly overrated. Almost any R1 in the United States, any land grant, any public ivy with an art history MA (particularly combined with good MFA programs, such as at a lot of the NY, CA, and MI systems) would offer a better program and better chance of a scholarship, plus you'd be able to get experience as a TA or GTA at some point. Good luck.   

Hi! I'm currently an undergraduate studying in the U.K. fulltime. Just had to respond after I saw @dogsplayingpoker's post.  They're right about it being very difficult to secure a scholarship for an MA. It's not impossible though! If you're interested in studying in Scotland, I would check out the Saltire Scholarships to see if you qualify! They offer £8000 awards for postgraduate funding. You would likely have better chances of securing funding in the U.S. though. But I disagree with the comment on Glasgow! It is definitely not a 'rubbish' or unfriendly city! While crime is certainly high in some areas, the university is fantastic and the people there are very nice! 

Thanks to you both! My program doesn't qualify for the Saltire Scholarship - and I am finding that an offer I hold in the U.S. would be a better financial decision (and the program  has a leg up in some other ways.) The program at UG is actually a taught MA, not a research MA. And yes, I too disagree re: Glasgow - I've been there and fell in love with the city. The program at Edinburgh may look great, but meeting with the director I read into some issues with the program that discouraged me from applying - and I found Glasgow to be more on the cutting edge in the contemporary art world. The professors were also talented and wonderful. In regards to crime/violence (which I really don't count as an issue) it's basically the same as where I live in the states anyway. 

On the down side, I'm not finding financial options that would allow me to attend, but on the up side, I've got a great offer stateside. 

Thanks for the advice!