PhD GMAT waiver

liaoqj1991

Hello, friends,

I am international student from China, and would like to apply for Phd in Marketing (Business Administration) program. Does anyone suggest PhD program that does not require GMAT Score among Top 100 Universities? It is rare, but there are some cases. For example, Winsconsin Madison does not require students to have GRE for Philisophy PhD, and some Master programs in other universities, such as Brown, NYU, do not require GMAT/GRE etc.

My Backgroud:

MBA in Macau S.A.R., CHINA (GPA 3.67/4), English-taught with Research Component. 

Research Interest: Applied Econometrics, Marketing-Finance Interface, Brand Value

Sorry to tell you that most residency required business PhDs do require GMAT. You may find some PhD programs offer GMAT waiver, however, if you look closely, you''ll find those are online programs which have little credits in academia. 

The reason why GMAT is a prerequisite mainly because first the admission committee need a "standard" to screen all applications. Usually, each program will receive hundreds of applications each year while only a few can make to the short list. So GMAT can be a good standard to shrink the applicant pool. Second, when the faculty members have no idea about you, they need your GMAT score to reveal your academic capacity. Even though I've heard from several professors saying GMAT/GRE  is not a reliable measure. That's probably why some PhDs don't require standard test scores. but unfortunately, business PhDs is very old school. I've never seen business PhD programs offer waivers on standard tests. 

I suggest you spend a year preparing the test and try your luck in 2021. You'll be fine with a reasonable GMAT score (I mean at least 600).

• 5 months later...
On 2/10/2020 at 10:59 PM, liaoqj1991 said:

Hello, friends,

I am international student from China, and would like to apply for Phd in Marketing (Business Administration) program. Does anyone suggest PhD program that does not require GMAT Score among Top 100 Universities? It is rare, but there are some cases. For example, Winsconsin Madison does not require students to have GRE for Philisophy PhD, and some Master programs in other universities, such as Brown, NYU, do not require GMAT/GRE etc.

My Backgroud:

MBA in Macau S.A.R., CHINA (GPA 3.67/4), English-taught with Research Component. 

Research Interest: Applied Econometrics, Marketing-Finance Interface, Brand Value

I have the same question. would you like to add my wechat, yesimfiona