Improving Application for Next Year: Research and IO Psych

psycholokri

At this point in time, I have received some nice rejection emails from POI's regarding Industrial/Organizational Psychology and Social Psychology. I know I need more research experience and it would not hurt to have some publications/more poster presentations than I currently have.

How do I get research experience when I am 4 years out of my undergraduate degree? I have an option for a research-intensive masters, which may be my best option, but is there another way for me to get research experience, particularly in IO psychology without doing the masters? I know I am so close, so I want to improve my application as much as possible, and preferably as quickly as possible. 

help!

1 hour ago, psycholokri said:

At this point in time, I have received some nice rejection emails from POI's regarding Industrial/Organizational Psychology and Social Psychology. I know I need more research experience and it would not hurt to have some publications/more poster presentations than I currently have.

How do I get research experience when I am 4 years out of my undergraduate degree? I have an option for a research-intensive masters, which may be my best option, but is there another way for me to get research experience, particularly in IO psychology without doing the masters? I know I am so close, so I want to improve my application as much as possible, and preferably as quickly as possible. 

help!

I would look into a paid position in a research lab! I was able to switch back to academia after 4 years out by doing this. Lab coordinator/manager positions are often set up purposefully to be post-bacc/pre-PhD experiences.

Edited by Modulus
missing word

9 hours ago, psycholokri said:

help!

I am seeing many lab manager positions popping up in http://psychgradsearch.wikidot.com/

I am sure there will be more availability as many current research assistants/lab managers go get into a grad school. Definitely keep an eye out on relevant job search sites.

Also, I've realized that one of the main factors that help with getting accepted is if POIs are familiar with your research ideas. If you have letter of recommendations from people who know your POI well (or have worked with them), then that's a big plus. But you SHOULD reach out to ppl whose work you really like and have new insights about..ask if you want any clarifications...maybe discuss new directions their research can take...reach out to many and don't wait till August. Blow them away with your depth of knowledge and research ideas. And you will get in.

I volunteered in my undergrad as research assistant and it helped me a lot. Not only improving my profile, but I did gain a lot of experience and knew that I liked to do research. 

Definitely try to talk to professors in your school